Discuss Strange motorhome electrical problem - any ideas please? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

ColinM50

I have a '17 Eldiss motorhome based on a Peugeot Boxer and have a strange warning light coming on on the dash. It's the orange triangle , which according to Peugeot is a general light failure warning. The light comes on when I select reverse and then stays on until I restart the M/H and is accompanied by a fault line on the dash saying "check rev lights".

It's been in to my local Peugeot dealer four times and have had various "suggestions" from them each one promising the fault's cured. These range from changing the reversing light bulbs, changing the daylight running light bulbs, refuelling the tank and today being told the fault is with the rear light cluster which they say needs to be replaced. You'll not be surprised to hear that the Peugeot dealer says that's an Eldiss warranty issue and not theirs.

Anyone any ideas what I could try next? I don't want to take it to the dealer I bought if from, they're almost 200 miles away and I've not found them helpful at all on other issues and I just know if I take it to them it'll be a week's trial to get them to do anything.

Any ideas please?

TIA

Just a gess check the earthing on the rear light cluster, use your DVM on the millivolt range to see if the common return on the cluster raises voltage significantly compared to the general metal work. If so run some 2.5mm2 fine stranded and use crimp rings at both ends, to get it into the the common rail at the cluster end use a self tapper...

As above,a good first call. Has the rig got LED's at the rear?

A set of jumps leads off the chassis,can be used as a temporary earth bridge,to check weak grounds.

Bulb failure units,will expect to see the standard amount of current,used by the vehicles original lamp types.
This can be checked at fuse boards or relay mounts,on individual circuits.

Do not underestimate the amount of fannying these issues can generate,and you may need a dedicated,capable technician,to find a solution...don't expect any main dealer to provide him...;)

I know it is a bit of a long shot , and unlikely, But has the motorhome had a tow bar with electrics fitted?
I have had bad expeiences with aftermarket wiring on different types of vehicle.
A 17 plate should not be giving you problems , and your dealer may be correct pointing it to Eldiss.

Thanks for the replies, I'll try the check for false earth. And no towbar fitted (yet), that's next on the agenda once I can get this sorted

Just as an addition,i had a friend with a brand new Ranger,who had a dealer fitted towbar kit,from new. The 13 pin socket never worked from collection.

The dealer (a very poor example of one...)tried multiple times to correct this,and could not,failing obviously to check before releasing,several times.

I paid them a visit,after being consulted,as the last trip back,the "technicians" had told him the fault was due to a LED light bar,i had fitted to the roof bars,relayed off the main beam.

On interrogation,the technicians and workshop manager,failed to explain either how this could happen,or indeed,WHO had determined this;)

...Anywho,the next trip back (No.4) they found a faulty mid-body ECU,replaced it under warranty,and the towbar electrics have functioned ever since :)

I thought, I would just like to add, on a light hearted theme, I rented one of these animals for the British GP and fell out of the cabin bed in the middle of the night, going for a pee. I'm still suffering :mad:

I thought, I would just like to add, on a light hearted theme, I rented one of these animals for the British GP and fell out of the cabin bed in the middle of the night, going for a pee. I'm still suffering :mad:
not exactly the ideal vehicle for a Grand Prix. you should have hired one like this. :

Strange motorhome electrical problem - any ideas please? upload_2017-7-26_19-30-43 - EletriciansForums.net

Ah well our one has an electric bed that comes down from the ceiling so if you're desperate and a good shot, you could probably wee in the sink from the bed without getting up. I say "probably" because I haven't tried it. Yet :)

A lamp failure warning unit can be triggered by something as simple as bad connections either within the harness or the fitting. Even dirty connections on a bulb or a loose bulb can cause triggering as the warning unit senses a drop in the current drawn & thinks a bulb has failed.
A decent Auto Electrician (Rarely if ever found in a dealer workshop) should be able to get it sorted quickly.
Having to turn the vehicle off and restart to clear the warning light is normal, that's what gives the failure unit it's reset.

Thanks for that but therein lies the problem. Finding a good auto electrician. Spoke to one highly recommended local a/e and he won't touch it 'cos it's under warranty. So guess I'll keep on looking??

Reply to Strange motorhome electrical problem - any ideas please? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock