Discuss Strange "pellets" in the loft. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Matt

-
Reaction score
Hey,

I am very new to the trade and I was helping a mate on a house rewire the other day and I found something that intrigued me. When I went up into the loft I found loads if these:

Strange "pellets" in the loft. IMG_20190521_133332 - EletriciansForums.net Does anybody know what these are? the loft floor is littered with loads of them. The house is really old, if that matters. Is it some sort of degraded insulation?

It was used as loft insulation in the fifty's.I have it in my house.I just put the fibre glass over the top of it.It hasn't degraded,that's what it looks like:eek:

It was common around Rayburn and Parkray solid fuel boilers too.
It was very effective at keeping the heat where it should be.

I believe it is Vermiculite. Definitely looks the part after a Google search.

It says that it was almost entirely mined in a place called Libby in the US and that it is almost certain it contains different kinds of asbestos... Anybody had any experience with this stuff?

It will only contain asbestos if it was used with asbestos .
I do not think it is in the make up of Vermiculite .
Search for a recent post on here just a few days ago.

Oh ffs...

Strange "pellets" in the loft. upload_2019-5-21_22-41-4 - EletriciansForums.net

It says "from some sources", but what if (hopefuly according to legend) it was almost entierly dugup in that Libby place. That would make it very much real that it had asbestos.

Well then I see a lot of people are well acquainted with Vermiculite. I have a question then - I assume that before any works done to the inside of a house, an Asbestos Survey should be carried out.
I doubt that the people at which house we were working in had any clue about this stuff laying about over their heads - especially that they were still living in one of the rooms while some workers were tearing the place apart...

The question is, should I inform them (workers, owners) about this stuff? Considering that they are definitely still going on with the job.

Hey,

I am very new to the trade and I was helping a mate on a house rewire the other day and I found something that intrigued me. When I went up into the loft I found loads if these:

View attachment 49484 Does anybody know what these are? the loft floor is littered with loads of them. The house is really old, if that matters. Is it some sort of degraded insulation?
Vermiculite.

Well then I see a lot of people are well acquainted with Vermiculite. I have a question then - I assume that before any works done to the inside of a house, an Asbestos Survey should be carried out.
I doubt that the people at which house we were working in had any clue about this stuff laying about over their heads - especially that they were still living in one of the rooms while some workers were tearing the place apart...

The question is, should I inform them (workers, owners) about this stuff? Considering that they are definitely still going on with the job.

You have IMHO gone about this the correct way, you have had your suspicions here but before you have made that call you have done a little research which in this case is an insulation you have learned about and is not a concern.
Yes asbestos can be found in domestic too but it is often mixed into materials that render it a low risk like old lino's, having said that it can be found in its 'high risk' categories too so my advice is do more research about where asbestos is likely to be found, the different kinds and what they may look like, this way you won't become the boy that cries wolf every time you come across something you cannot identify.
It makes more sense to be informed about what could be and looks like asbestos than trying to learn all the historic common components used in your work environment that you do not recognise.

It says that it was almost entirely mined in a place called Libby in the US and that it is almost certain it contains different kinds of asbestos... Anybody had any experience with this stuff?

Not according to this;

Coming from Europe, virtually all of what I read about vermiculite on the Internet seems to be focused on issues in the United States. Is this something I need to worry about here? Very little Libby vermiculite was exported to Europe. So the issues related to Libby vermiculite are much less relevant outside of the USA. European vermiculite suppliers ensure that the products sold are properly tested, meet International standards and are safe to use.

https://www.vermiculite.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/FAQs.pdf

You probably need to be more concerned about the ink in the old newspapers the Vermiculite is sitting on..;

First and foremost, is the ink toxic? In the past, newspaper ink was largely composed of heavy metals such as lead, and other toxic materials like cadmium.

https://permaculturenews.org/2016/03/14/is-newspaper-safe-for-your-garden/

Coming from Europe, virtually all of what I read about vermiculite on the Internet seems to be focused on issues in the United States. Is this something I need to worry about here? Very little Libby vermiculite was exported to Europe. So the issues related to Libby vermiculite are much less relevant outside of the USA. European vermiculite suppliers ensure that the products sold are properly tested, meet International standards and are safe to use.

Thank you for putting the link, yet I am still skeptical of a source which interest lies within the mining, promotion and sale of a product which is considered to be harmful if impure.

I understand that Vermiculite in itself is not asbestos - and not every Vermiculite mine is also an asbestos mine.

And the mentioned organization is supposedly on guard of "best practices" and "protocols" in order to provide safe and non-toxic products to the public.

Yes, information regarding Libby is quick to find from multiple sources, presenting both sides of the argument,and they show that Libby was a single mine within a a bigger network of those that operated in the US - which is a major exporter of Vermiculite.

And if US Vermiculate was only a small precentage of that coming to Europe then where did the majority come from. South Africa comes to mind as according to data it is the biggest exporter of this material. It is also a big exporter of asbestos and known for poor quality control and work conditions in many of its industry...

Now... the Vermiculite Association might be doing a great job protecting consumers and workers from the dangerous effects of impure minerals yet adhering to their standards is not compulsory. It is only advice.
Now surely a lot of you here have been working on-site for much longer then I have so think about it and tell me if following protocol or H&S is really what people do in order to "get things done".

I am not trying to scare monger yet being dismissive of a case and quoting resources from organizations involved in the upkeep of a potentially dangerous substance is not good for me.

PLUS, by SAFE we mean any material which is undisturbed or in its original/manufactured form - asbestos containing blocks are all fine with me until someone starts to cut them with a grinder... so maybe similar things should be considered when speaking about Vermiculite pellets, of which origin we have not a clue.
Sure, very little should not kill you but maybe this could be food for thought?

Vermiculite is still used and readily available - there is a stack of bags of the stuff in my local builder's merchant.
I'm about to use a slightly different form of it, mixed with a little cement, to insulate around flue pipes in some old chimneys.

Reply to Strange "pellets" in the loft. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock