Discuss Strange readings when connecting up wall light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tomparry94

So I'm doing a job and when connecting up a wall light to a single 1.5mm T+E it does not work, there is another wall light that is connected up to another single T+E cable, however this 9one does work.
when testing the cable coming out of the wall when connected into a connector block with no light I get the usual readings, L-N 230v L-E 230v and N-E 0v. Although with the light connected I get the following readings L-N 0v L-E 230 and N-E 230v

Originally I thought it would have been reverse polarity or a junction box in the floor boards not connected up correctly but cant quite get get my head around why the readings change when the light is connected but are as they should be when it is not!!
I have tried swapping the fittings over and they both work but then connected up to this cable they don't! :confused5:

If somebody could shed shone light on the situation that would be greatly appreciated!

If it's correct with nothing connected then when you connect it all if a sudden you have N-E of 230v, surely it's got to do with the way you are connecting it.

or the N has a poor connection somewhere and that is breaking down under load.

I think I'd have to stand there to see it to be honest as if it works on one and bit the other... What happens if you connect the known good light to it?

Could it be that the neutral is not connected then? Guess that would make sense.
The connections on the wall light are just L-N-E so no chance of connecting it up wrong... Unless I'm colour blind and I just don't know it yet!!

That would have been the next thing I did, didn't have time to look into it too much! Can't wait to be ripping the floorboards up to find the junction box!!

So I'm doing a job and when connecting up a wall light to a single 1.5mm T+E it does not work, there is another wall light that is connected up to another single T+E cable, however this 9one does work.
when testing the cable coming out of the wall when connected into a connector block with no light I get the usual readings, L-N 230v L-E 230v and N-E 0v. Although with the light connected I get the following readings L-N 0v L-E 230 and N-E 230v

The N connection is not a low impedance to the installation N? Once you try to pass any significant current from L to N, the N floats up to 230V. Perhaps the N is not actually N but has something high impedance in series with it (smoke alarm, etc)?

Just to add: if the light used to work once, perhaps something has been changed/added somewhere, it is worth asking. The fault may not be under the floor, it could be at a ceiling rose or smoke alarm housing.

Reply to Strange readings when connecting up wall light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net