Discuss Strange request but.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Baddegg

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Customer of mine runs a kids club type thing and has asked me if I have an old consumer unit, don’t think he means rewireable just old ish, anyway they are teaching the kids life skills, I’m guessing he ain’t connect it up who knows ? and he’s asked if I have one I could donate, I don’t have one they get thrown immediately less and spares I can keep on the van, anyone in the Portsmouth area got one it would be appreciated ?

Customer of mine runs a kids club type thing and has asked me if I have an old consumer unit, don’t think he means rewireable just old ish, anyway they are teaching the kids life skills, I’m guessing he ain’t connect it up who knows ? and he’s asked if I have one I could donate, I don’t have one they get thrown immediately less and spares I can keep on the van, anyone in the Portsmouth area got one it would be appreciated ?
Whilst I don't doubt your client's enthusiasm and commitment, can't quite see where an old CU will fit into the equation of "Life skills" they are Kids after all, with no disrespect to you and your client, are you completely 100% sure of his/her intentions? I had to ask to be sure.

Thanks Pete, yeah I’m quite sure mate, I’ve just done full eicr on his place and ironically changed his unit about 2 months ago!......he’s a vicar mate ? I’m having nothing to do with it, if I went in a church it would definitely get struck by lightning mate ? but I don’t mind helping people where I can I think these kids don’t exactly have many positive role models in they life ya know ?

If you are sure it will be used safely, and you cannot get one locally, I have one I will send you.
You could always lock the mains switch off.

Whilst I don't doubt your client's enthusiasm and commitment, can't quite see where an old CU will fit into the equation of "Life skills" they are Kids after all, with no disrespect to you and your client, are you completely 100% sure of his/her intentions? I had to ask to be sure.

Hopefully they are teaching them the basics of how to reset a circuit breaker or RCD, how to switch off the main switch in an emergency and maybe how to narrow down the source of a tripping RCD by switching off the mcbs etc.

These are simple life skills that a lot of people are missing in my opinion.

Thanks Ruston, I’ll give it a day or 2 and may take you up on it, it will definitely not be used for anything other than explaining to em what it does I think
[automerge]1582210576[/automerge]
Hopefully they are teaching them the basics of how to reset a circuit breaker or RCD, how to switch off the main switch in an emergency and maybe how to narrow down the source of a tripping RCD by switching off the mcbs etc.

These are simple life skills that a lot of people are missing in my opinion.
I think that’s exactly what he’s doing Dave, and I completely agree I meet 20/30 olds who don’t know the basics....as I said I’m not getting involved but I like the idea and like to help

Thanks Ruston, I’ll give it a day or 2 and may take you up on it, it will definitely not be used for anything other than explaining to em what it does I think
You could get into the spirit ( no pun intended) of the project and help your friend , and the kids out. ;)

You could get into the spirit ( no pun intended) of the project and help your friend , and the kids out. ;)
Ha ha nah man I’m deeply un religious.....mever put much faith in stuff you can’t see......oh hang on electricity....ummmmmm ? unless there’s Guinness involved then I’d be like a lamb to the slaughter!

Say no more. ;)
This board does not have an RCD on it if memory serves. It is not a common make , but is full of mcb's . I kept it in case I ever needed one, but I have had it tucked away for years now, so it can go to a good home.

Say no more. ;)
This board does not have an RCD on it if memory serves. It is not a common make , but is full of mcb's . I kept it in case I ever needed one, but I have had it tucked away for years now, so it can go to a good home.
Thanks Ruston that sounds like just the thing it doesn’t have to be pretty just have switches that he can explain, I’ll be in touch mate

About time one of the Electrician Schools came up wit an electrical appreciation course for home owners, Oh hang on I could do that no problem no qualifications required. Did run some courses when I was working, quite simple realy, anf no I aint giving my course notes out OK.

About time one of the Electrician Schools came up wit an electrical appreciation course for home owners, Oh hang on I could do that no problem no qualifications required
You are just the man for the job Pete. Our local Tec used to do stuff like that , car maintenance and the like. Now it doesn't even have an electrical department.

Reply to Strange request but.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net