Discuss Strange results from continuity test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

ngoodson1969

Hi all,

I have just replaced and tested my own CU.
I did the continuity testing on the 3 ring mains. On each one I crossed over the Line and CPC and got a reading of between 0.2 and 0.3 Ohms. But when I crossed the Line and Neutrals I got readings on each of >1999.
I have tested the sockets separately with a Fluke socket tester and it says they're fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

Nick

When you crossed the line and cpc over and measured the results did you test at each point on the ring to see if the results at each socket were essentially the same? (apart from spurs which will obviously be higher)

Last edited:
3 Rings? all with P-N >1999, but end to end 0.3.
Are you crossing the the correct P1 with the N2?
it appears that you have the P1 with another rings N2!!!

No, I didn't check every socket, most of them though and they were more or less the same.
The end to ends were OK, I was definitely checking the correct Lines and Neutrals, the T&Es had been taped together in pairs at the CU end by the spark who re-wired.

A Line/cpc reversal would fit with your open circuit reading on L/N - but surely not...:eek:

& you`d hope the socket tester would have picked it up :confused:

But favourite would be a Neutral break somewhere on the ring - skt testers have their limitations, that`s why we do RFC continuity testing :)

As Saveloy intimated, you should have tested at every skt, identifying any spurs & establishing no deviation greater than 0.05 between outlets.

If a job`s worth doing...:p

I`d repeat the suggestion that you start from the start.

End to end r1,r2 & r n. Then crossovers, checking at each skt. Between L & N should be r1+rn /4, between L & cpc r1+r2 /4.

If any anomalies, post results up here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Strange results from continuity test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock