Discuss strange , tester or RCD? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

elsparko

doing an EICR today i could not take Zs readings at any sockets on various circuits protected by a RCD

tester set to low , no trip test and trips instantly on all 3 ciruits regardless of which socket i try result is always trip instantly

thought it could be the leads, wrong ports etc but everything is as it should be

auto test the RCD, all good 25.6ms @ x1 and 25.2ms @ x5

anyone had this happen before? logic tells me it is my tester at fault, kewtech

polarity is all good throughout the house so scratching my noggin a bit over this one

^^^
Had similar after putting up a light fitting for somebody. Did a Zs test, trip. Did IR test, short live to earth (think it was).

insulation resistance showed nothing of concern though, practically all appliances were off, although i cant rule out earth leakage on one of the appliances that were in use as someone has pinched clamp tester

only thing out of the ordinary is the battery on my tester being low, that shouldnt affect anything though shirley?

I go with Tel's theory of existing leakage. Count this out first by testing the RCD as it should be tested, at the terminals with loads removed.

insulation resistance showed nothing of concern though, practically all appliances were off, although i cant rule out earth leakage on one of the appliances that were in use as someone has pinched clamp tester

only thing out of the ordinary is the battery on my tester being low, that shouldnt affect anything though shirley?

As you have tested the RCD and it appears to be OK that leaves existing leakage and /or a neutral to earth fault .....

Bit of a pain losing your clamp meter!

When i had some issues with my kewtech 64dl i rang the tech guy Alan Towler at kewtech, hes a great bloke and is happy for you to ring him and will go through various hidden menus and things to sort any issues out whilst on the phone to him.
He said to me issues with the mft usually come down to one of 3 things... batteries, leads or the fuse in the back of it.
my issue was the fuse was not seated just right, so he had me squeeze the holder tighter at back and put fuse back in, continuity readings then spot on and not fluctuating wildly. He also taught me how to adjust the loop readings when dealing with very very low readings within the margin of error to stabilise and get meaningful reading.
His number if it helps is Alan Towler - 07970826188 he is the technical support guy for all the kewtech kit.

New York, New York.

When i had some issues with my kewtech 64dl i rang the tech guy Alan Towler at kewtech, hes a great bloke and is happy for you to ring him and will go through various hidden menus and things to sort any issues out whilst on the phone to him.
He said to me issues with the mft usually come down to one of 3 things... batteries, leads or the fuse in the back of it.
my issue was the fuse was not seated just right, so he had me squeeze the holder tighter at back and put fuse back in, continuity readings then spot on and not fluctuating wildly. He also taught me how to adjust the loop readings when dealing with very very low readings within the margin of error to stabilise and get meaningful reading.
His number if it helps is Alan Towler - 07970826188 he is the technical support guy for all the kewtech kit.

I'm gonna ring him about my penchant for rubber things, do you think he might help.

I'm gonna ring him about my penchant for rubber things, do you think he might help.
he might talk all dirty to you down the phone, he might ask you to ring him back on a special more expensive number first mind... we all have bills to pay afterall. my mates mum used to do them adult chat lines, shed be sat there talking filth to blokes down the phone whilst doing her online bingo! was a bit weird but she made good money out of it. some of the stories she could tell you....

Reply to strange , tester or RCD? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net