Discuss Strange voltage when using dimmer switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has had this, getting 24v between live and neutral at pendant when dimmer is off, which means the light isn’t fully going off it’s still sort of glowing. When I replaced this for a regular switch it sorted the issue, just wondering if anyone else has had this and if just trying a new dimmer would sort it

Wondering if anyone else has had this, getting 24v between live and neutral at pendant when dimmer is off, which means the light isn’t fully going off it’s still sort of glowing. When I replaced this for a regular switch it sorted the issue, just wondering if anyone else has had this and if just trying a new dimmer would sort it
Is it off or just turned down to minimum? possible incompatibility issue if LED.

Most dimmers have some leakage unless actually contacts-open "off".

You should not see it with halogen, but with LED that practically don't conduct until a good few volts then seeing that, or the periodic flashing as they charge come up to the point the LED conducts, is not that unusual.

Does the dimmer have a physical switch that clicks off or is it purely electronic e.g.touch controlled? If the latter, it has to pass a tiny curremt through the lamp 24/7 to power its electronics to detect when it is being turned on. With an LED i would expect to measure a voltage at the lamp which might cause glow or flashing, although with a filament lamp fitted the voltage should be very low due to the low cold resistance. If the dimmer has a mechanical switch then it shouldn't pass any current when off.

Does the dimmer have a physical switch that clicks off or is it purely electronic e.g.touch controlled? If the latter, it has to pass a tiny curremt through the lamp 24/7 to power its electronics to detect when it is being turned on. With an LED i would expect to measure a voltage at the lamp which might cause glow or flashing, although with a filament lamp fitted the voltage should be very low due to the low cold resistance. If the dimmer has a mechanical switch then it shouldn't pass any current when off.
It’s one of the dimmers that when you turn it, it clicks on

I suspect there is something wrong with that particular dimmer 🤔

The couple of rotary dimmer modules I've just looked into (admittedly with push-action switches) do open the circuit completely when "off". Obvious I know, but I wondered if something like interference suppression might still be left in circuit, but that's not the case with mine.
Suggest you try a new dimmer 😀

Edit: to be fair, my dimmers are 2-way switches - so my reference to "off" above assumes only one of L1 or L2 is used. If yours is a 2-way switch with both L1 and L2 connected, some voltage coming in on the other live might cause this? Or not!

Last edited:

Reply to Strange voltage when using dimmer switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock