Discuss Strange Zs Results in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Joe S

-
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new on here and have my NIC inspection on friday. I have had a lot of help from a mate of mine and dont really want to keep phoning him all the time.

I have done the testing on a shed that I have wired and all my Zs readings are up around 35 - 36 ohms! This is higher than the max Zs allowed per breaker. Not quite sure what to do??

The breakers are 1x 16a 1x 10a 1x 6a

Could it be that you were mis reading the meter or had it on the wrong setting max Zs for TT is given in the book as 21ohms but somewhere else it states that if Zs goes above 200 ohms it becomes unstable just looking for that at the moment.

Chris

Have a look at 411.5.3 of BS7671 page 50 does that help

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I did double check the meter as I thought it was wrong. I'm having to test Zs with the Zs RCD function switched or else it trips will testing. Could this throw my readings out?? I'll just go get my book to look at that page.

cat the 21ohm figure is what the supply authority says the earth at there transformer will be.

when doing an eqrth test on a tt system deduct 21ohms from your figure ant that will give you the true reading for your earth.

The 200ohm number is a recomendation. Above that the earth may be "unstable" meaning climate conditions may affect it. Normally i would look for under 100ohms not including the supply authoritys 21ohm figure.

Hope that makes sence.:D

When I do the sum of 0.03xZs I get 1.188 which is obviously less than the 50v recommended in table 41.5. With the Max Zs values per breaker in table 41.3, my reading of 39ohms would fail?? Is that right?

Sorry for bumbling but I'm still very new to this testing lark and am bricking my inspection on Friday as I have a hard cookie from what I've heard!!

Jason S - Thats how its set up at the moment.

If thats the case then just measure your true Ze and PFC.

Then divide the PFC into your Ze and that will give you your voltage.

Whatever it is, it will be fine as you are well under 100Ohms anyways.

Sorry for bumbling but I'm still very new to this testing lark and am bricking my inspection on Friday as I have a hard cookie from what I've heard!!

Cant see what the problem is Joe, if the garage is TT and you are measuring Zs via the earth electrode then the results you have are very good, you are never going to achieve the max Zs figures quoted in the device tables through an electrode, as someone has already said the rec max for TT is 200ohms as this allows for varying soil conditions freezing drying out etc, remember a 30ma RCD will operate in required times with a Zs of 1667 ohms

50/30 x 1000 = 1666.66

Thanks Trebor. I think I'm panicking a bit too much but I have never liked exams!! I dont completely understand everything and feel as though I am going to get asked some awkward questions.

Hey.

For a TT system the max Zs values in 7671 are not applicable, on the next page you will se for TT systems the the max is 1667ohms to enable operation of a 30mA RCD in the desired times at a safe touch voltage of 50V.

Really the RA should be well below 200ohms as this is the accepted value (about 100ohms is spot on) allowing for soil conditions weather etc. As you have 39ohms you have an excellent reading there so no need to worry at all.;)

Joe never say sorry for BUMBLING thats what this forum is all about helping each other with the things that bug us in the job. If you learn we succed and how many people have learned from this thread as well the time will come when I will BUMBLE and someone like you is gonna help out:)

Chris

Reply to Strange Zs Results in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock