Discuss Strangest thing you have found in a property? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
just reading another thread where somebody joked about using midgets to run cables and it got me thinking whats the strangest or most unusual thing you have found in a property?
Mine would have to be a pile of WW2 stuff under a floor.

Was working with a team rewiring a house in Swindon. When we pulled up the groundfloor floorboards we found some metal cases. We lifted them up and after a bit of banging and leverage discovered a collection of WW2 weapons, a couple of grenades a gas mask and few bits and bobs we didnt recognise that would be useful if you were looking to cause havoc. It was a one man army stockpile.
The owner said he recalled being told by his late dad that he hid stuff in the floor during WW2 in case the Germans invaded and had forgot all about it since his dad passed away a few years beforehand. His dad had been sent home after being injured at the start of the war and then was an auxiliary tasked with a sort of resistance type role in the event the Germans landed.
Having been a weapons technician in the forces myself prior to leaving through poor health I took it all into the back garden, i took the view we had just battered the boxes to open them up so it was quite stable. The Lee Enfield rifle, (cant recall which version) was rusty but the pistol was covered in an oil rag and looked fully operational, as was the shotgun. The ammo looked pretty good nick too. only slight discoloration on the casings and around the primer area. My colleagues went out the front whilst i carried it out back... not sure why? it was only a few grenades:eek:
When it was phoned in all hell broke loose. I got a right telling off by the police when we called them for moving it but the Royal Logistics Corp C/O just laughed when i told him my past career. Not sure what happened to it all after that - hopefully in a museum but the ammunition and grenades were destroyed elsewhere. but we were not popular with the neighbours for having them evacuated for a couple of hours! Most likely the only exciting thing to ever happen in Swindon..

Whats everybodys unusual discovery in a property?

I didn't actually find this but it was there somewhere!

Got called to a rental where the light fitting in bedroom had 'fallen down'. I got there and it seemed obvious the light had been pulled or otherwise caught and yanked. There was also a smashed mirrored wardrobe door lay on its side. Then I saw the telltale black circular imprint on the ceiling. Turns out the tenant had a thing for pole dancing, neighbours complained and reported her for it but the letting agent couldn't really do anything about it. The letting agent asked me to keep an eye out when I went round there. The bedroom was only around 8x10ft with robes and a bed in, so there was barely room to swing a cat, never mind pole dancing!

Piles of gay ---- mags left around VERY obviously when I was rewiring a property for a fella living on his own. I had to keep mentioning my wife to him. Once I had my head under the floor on the landing trying to find a cable, --- in the air, and heard him ascending the stairs. Fastest I'd moved all day.
Nice chap though.:rolleyes:

Not strange but two young ladies who were naturists and asked if we would be offended should they be naked all day, I had to think about it.

That has just reminded me of my first job when I left school. 16 yrs old and working in a sports centre. I can't recall what the event was on the particular day, but the entire centre was basically overrun for the entire day with models walking around topless and covered in body paint! Any belief on my part that there is no god was dispelled that day!!

I was working at some tower blocks years ago, the council were clearing out one of the flats. They had one of those open backed cage trucks. The old guy I was working with noticed an old singer sewing machine table in the truck, he said that would nice in his hallway. So asked the council lads if he could have it.
"Aye mate just take it!" They said.
We carried back to our site cabin and when we looked inside there was a loose panel, behind that panel was an envelope with £300 in old tenners!

In my own house, I was removing an old cast iron fireplace from my son's bedroom (which I sold for £400!), and found the chimney was stuffed full of really old ladies and kids shoes, about fifty pairs. A bit creepy!

Elsewhere, lifted a crappy chipboard floor to reveal the original floorboards underneath and found a body shaped blood stain on the boards...very creepy!

once did some work in a flat for a pair of lesbian girls. in the bedroom were 4 vibrators and a stack of dead AA batteries thrown all over the floor.

Another tale at the same block of flats, basically all the tennents were moved out whilst they were refurbished then went back after. Anyway there was one tennent they had trouble getting out, so once we finally got in, the flat was an absolute hovel! He must not have thrown anything away! There were tins of food 20years out of date!

that's good to know. i got some corned beef tins left by my da. he got them in the R.A.F., Libya 1943. he always said, waste not , want not.

Was working with a team rewiring a house in Swindon. When we pulled up the groundfloor floorboards we found some metal cases. We lifted them up and after a bit of banging and leverage discovered a collection of WW2 weapons, a couple of grenades a gas mask and few bits and bobs we didnt recognise that would be useful if you were looking to cause havoc. It was a one man army stockpile.
The owner said he recalled being told by his late dad that he hid stuff in the floor during WW2 in case the Germans invaded and had forgot all about it since his dad passed away a few years beforehand. His dad had been sent home after being injured at the start of the war and then was an auxiliary tasked with a sort of resistance type role in the event the Germans landed.
Having been a weapons technician in the forces myself prior to leaving through poor health I took it all into the back garden, i took the view we had just battered the boxes to open them up so it was quite stable. The Lee Enfield rifle, (cant recall which version) was rusty but the pistol was covered in an oil rag and looked fully operational, as was the shotgun. The ammo looked pretty good nick too. only slight discoloration on the casings and around the primer area. My colleagues went out the front whilst i carried it out back... not sure why? it was only a few grenades:eek:
When it was phoned in all hell broke loose. I got a right telling off by the police when we called them for moving it but the Royal Logistics Corp C/O just laughed when i told him my past career. Not sure what happened to it all after that - hopefully in a museum but the ammunition and grenades were destroyed elsewhere. but we were not popular with the neighbours for having them evacuated for a couple of hours! Most likely the only exciting thing to ever happen in Swindon..

Whats everybodys unusual discovery in a property?

Least you didn't take the hoard to the Cop shop, like some do!

Up in a loft found (I guess) a full blown satanic circle on the floor with symbols and various paraphernalia indicative of an active circle of some kind of dread rituals going on. Not a good working environment.
Adding a few sockets in another place. Found that readings on one particular part of the RFC suggested some damage to a particular run of cable. Lifted up the boards and found a car loads of tinned food, which was just the beginning as we found that every board with screws in had been used to store stacks and stacks of food. The lady said her ex was stocking up for armegeddon and the wild roving gangs inevitably found at such times. Note to preppers: If you have a stack of food be prepared to get robbed at best of everything you have.

Reply to Strangest thing you have found in a property? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net