Discuss Street Light Earthing/Bonding Query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Apologies in advance if I'm missing the obvious here or not referring to the correct section of 18th or the GN's. In honesty I think I'll get a better answer from the discussion here anyway.

So I'm about to do some head upgrades from failed SOX to LED. A reasonably starightforward like-for-like swap as such. However, as always I've done my preliminary inspection it's made me question a few things.

The poles are 1964 vintage as are some of the cutouts. It's a private system. Each bank of 3 poles is backed up by a 10a MCB via 2c PVC SWA (armour as CPC). There's 2 original cutouts (please see my post in the For Sale/Wanted section to see if you can help me locate a replacement fuse carrier for one) - they're all in reasonable condition but I'm not sure of the logic behind the earthing arrangement. It looks to be partly original as well.

As per the photograph, it's that old favourite of a section of PVC outer cut away and a BS951 clamp around the armour. Why would this have been done? Surely the all-metal cutout would naturally be bonded to the armour by the SWA gland and the luminaire's CPC could just be connected to the meteal cutout?

Second question - the CPC coming off the BS951 goes to both the luminaire, and the pole.

Earthing arrangements of the site are TN-C-S. I would have thought the pole is in effect a large earth stake (although I appreciate it may be coated in bitumen in the ground).

Is it correct that the pole is bonded to the incoming earth? I would have thought this is sort of combining two different earthing systems.

Cheers

Street Light Earthing/Bonding Query 20220321_144412 - EletriciansForums.net

As per the photograph, it's that old favourite of a section of PVC outer cut away and a BS951 clamp around the armour. Why would this have been done?
Installer was an idiot?

Surely the all-metal cutout would naturally be bonded to the armour by the SWA gland and the luminaire's CPC could just be connected to the meteal cutout?
Exactly...

Second question - the CPC coming off the BS951 goes to both the luminaire, and the pole.

Earthing arrangements of the site are TN-C-S. I would have thought the pole is in effect a large earth stake (although I appreciate it may be coated in bitumen in the ground).

Is it correct that the pole is bonded to the incoming earth? I would have thought this is sort of combining two different earthing systems.

The issue here is the TN-C-S aspect and the minimum bond size of 10mm copper equivalent where such a system's CPC is connected to extraneous conductive parts. Presumable when new this was TN-S and no issues beyond meeting disconnection time on a fault?

Thanks guys. No idea what size that mess is coming off the jubilee clip.

Think I'll have another look today and do some further tests.

RE TNS/TNCS - location is a school, so documentation is non-existent - except for a recent EICR which states TNCS. I'll head to the intake room and have a look for myself. It's has an on-site substation, which backs onto the intake room.

I'll have a look at continuity and take a Zs at the cutout - should give me an idea of the current state of play.

Having slept on it, it's hit me that one way or another the post will get bonded to the incoming CPC - the new heads have a CPC which bonds to their metal enclosure, which will in turn make contact with the pole through the grub screws....

It's has an on-site substation, which backs onto the intake room.
I've worked on a couple of schools / former schools with this arrangement.
I'd be quite surprised if it's TNCS. As the main earthing will be connected to the star point (N) of the transformer on the substation side of the wall, it would be unusual to then additionally connect N and main earthing the consumer side of the wall too and make it TNCS at that point.
Obviously in this situation the actual difference is almost irrelevant apart from a semantics/regs point of view.
There's usually a solid chunky earth bar conductor coming straight through the wall connected to up to a Kingsmill earth bar with link.

With on-site transformer then the whole open PEN fault diverting large sustained currents to extraneous parts goes away. Then so as long as CPC is enough for fault clearing and physically sound it should be OK.

Reply to Street Light Earthing/Bonding Query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock