Discuss Strip Light changes in standard dimension? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

iannewby

Question about the standard size that these come in - have they changed in last decade?
I have several nominal 11.25in fixtures that the only available size close to i can find is 284mm -
these fall out because too short!!
Any advice where i can get the older (longer) bulbs??
thanks ian

I'm assuming we are talking a T5 fluorescent - 12" 8w versions are available at screwfix (and other electrical retailers). Are these not suitable.
Let us know how you get on.

SSOORRYY!!
I missed out an important bit - They are the INCANDESCENT type, about 1inch diameter with a connector at each end. Think they might be S15

When did you last buy a lamp that fitted correctly?

Is the 11.24" measured from an old lamp or the fitting?

How old are the fittings?

My own shaver light is 29 years old and that's 284mm, still on the original lamp as well.

There's only 1.75mm difference, the lamp shouldn't fall out

Last edited:
Probably bought a bulb within last 5 years - they lasted well!
The fittings must be +/- >20yrs .. in house before we bought
Definitely not a fitting problem, the sockets at each end are sprung to allow bulb replacement - i have kept the old bulbs Two manufacturers - a Pifco (no model or other number) and another brand without model number but a stylised "M" in a black oval
All a bit of a mystery!!

The springs have probably weakened over time and are not now pushing back correctly.
Make sure that the lamp holder is not obstructed slightly and that the springs are free to move.

Thanks for the thoughts, but none of those things correct! I still have the original bulbs they are longer than todays replacement - the two i mention above slightly different lengths but both fit in their (original) fixtures. The spring retainers in each case is good and works- an easy fit, not jammed / no damage to the holders!
Difference in length about mm
I'll send photos next post!

Reply to Strip Light changes in standard dimension? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net