Discuss Strip lights. Connecting sections together in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Excuse a basic question. But just wondering on people's suggestions for installing LED strip lights under cabinets attached. On both the left and right cabinets there is an existing light. Guy wants replaced with strip lights. There will be three sections, one for left side and two for right side, either side of the microwave. Have never installed strip lights and wondering how I do it as neat as possible. I will have to install a transformer on either side and also link the two sections on right. I have seen examples where they have linked two sections by welding. Is there a decent kit could use instead. Or how would others go about doing a neat job with it. Cheers

Attachments

• IMG-20200509-WA0003.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 20
By welding do you mean soldering connections or welding the aluminium profile?

Soldering. So thinking it would maybe be transformer inside the cabinet, this then connects to first strip and then solder cable of other end and then wire this up and round back of cabinet and solder onto other section of strip. Probably not seeing something completely obvious and gotta be easier solution to this

Some brands of led tape come with joint pieces, right angles etc.

Personally I solder. One less thing to keep in stock.
[automerge]1589050419[/automerge]

Again, mine at home to give an idea. The 2 flexes go to the driver via a joint box.
It's a bit rough but it's mine and done in a hurry.

Attachments

• SC3.pdf
    380.3 KB · Views: 24
  • SC 2.pdf
    298.3 KB · Views: 18
  • strip corner.pdf
    448.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

[automerge]1589050419[/automerge]

Again, mine at home to give an idea. The 2 flexes go to the driver via a joint box.
It's a bit rough but it's mine and done in a hurry.

Nice job mate ? soldering might be way to go. Found the sort of thing would do job but In 2.5metres worth so alot of cable to lose LED Extension Cable with Connectors 2.5m - https://www.toolstation.com/led-extension-cable-with-connectors/p41717?store=A9&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=CjwKCAjwqdn1BRBREiwAEbZcR44J9GSNOf395HMG0NZgoH1fbHPzDkcTpZOPRzhv_c1Fkde8NQo1HhoCPDYQAvD_BwE

Just done our lights in kitchen,got from Amazon,Rgb app controlled & Alexa.
Took me quite a while to install,looks ok for the price.
Used Cat 6 to bridge cabinets,connections were a pain to be fair.
Trying to upload a pic,but comes up with uploaded file was not an image expected,any ideas on that

Trying to upload a pic,but comes up with uploaded file was not an image expected,any ideas on that
site can'tupload pics at the mo. you could convert to pdf and upload, or upload pics to a host, then post link.
seealso thread on 10 sockets broken. this was posted there.

N

How did you make the connections between the strips Cliffed. Was it Cat 5 and soldered?

N

How did you make the connections between the strips Cliffed. Was it Cat 5 and soldered?
Got a cat 6 little connection box, & 4pin flying lead for the led end,just fiddly under/inside cupboards.Us sparkies require something bigger,my heart races @ tiny cable connections,just me age I think?

I've used those strips before, but don't like them; too fiddly, and the higher wattage ones can't dissipate the heat well enough. I use mains voltage linkable led strip lights now, much brighter, more reliable, and easier to install. Search for Knightsbridge LED linkable, available in 3000k and 4000k.

Reply to Strip lights. Connecting sections together in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net