Discuss Stripping Alarm Cable (cable core keeps breaking) in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

numberwrong

"Stripping Alarm Cable (cable core keeps breaking)"

I'm using the 6 core cable that came with the Honeywell alarm system I got

Tried with Automatic style wire strippers, stanley knife, side cutters etc. but the steel core is very prone to breaking.

What tools or techniques would people recommend using?? Other cable this thin like Cat5 is just punched down in to the socket or crimped

Strip the outer using the rip cord provided and then trim off the plastic sheath,as for the inner cores I just use side cutters with no problem,but then again I have been doing it for over 30 years.

Yeah, the outer isn't a problem because of the rip cord. My side cutters aint as sharp as they could be... Haven't tried the good old-fashioned flat black crimp and strip tool, maybe this is the solution?

Yeah, the outer isn't a problem because of the rip cord. My side cutters aint as sharp as they could be... Haven't tried the good old-fashioned flat black crimp and strip tool, maybe this is the solution?
no mate don't think one of them will do it,best just buy some new cutters or a decent cable stripper,have you many to do?

was thinking something like this? no good?
Stripping Alarm Cable (cable core keeps breaking) 9721215B4k - EletriciansForums.net

Yeah, I've got loads to do (Alarm system for my 3 floor house) so willing to spend dollar on something that's quick and good

You could try it but it depends if the strippers go small enough there is a company called ideal industries based in warrington that do a nice little tool for smaller sized cables costs about £14

That's not even good enoigh to stir paint with, sling it in the bin.

I'm sure Knipex would say otherwise!!

I've found my solution:
Stripping Alarm Cable (cable core keeps breaking) 11061604k - EletriciansForums.net
This type of wire stripper works perfectly (forgot I owned a pair!) They're sharp enough to cut the insulation without putting too much strain on the steel core whilst stripping.

Thanks for all responses.

This might sound daft but most delta 6 core have 2 black cores one is copper stranded the other is a plastic blank. I dont know why this in there.?? But if your trying to strip this blank core youll be there forever..

spread the cores so they're in line, side cutters, strip all 6 cores in 1 go. easy.

Reply to Stripping Alarm Cable (cable core keeps breaking) in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock