Discuss stripping twin and earth in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wayne

anyone know of a tool for stripping twin and earth? apprentices are forever telling me your not supposed to pull the earth (what do they know) and i hate running the knife down it especially when im doing a db

not to my knowledge. Like you, I snip and then pull on the cpc (unless 10mm and then I pull on the neutral so as to not unravel the stranded cpc)

Mee too - it's the only way to do it unless you wanna risk slicing your hand to pieces (while also risking cutting the insulation on the conductors).

Apparently they're taught that pulling the cpc can cause a break somewhere further down the cable! What poo that is! OK, so there's the potential to weaken the cpc but only at the point whre it was ulled. Besides, once installation is complete, testing should identify any broken cpc faults anyway.

It's like the whole twisting cpc's thing. Personally I don't. Not because it could break the cpc but simply because I can't be bothered so while current guidleines state it's not good practice I won't bother. On the flip side, while current guidelines state it could damage the cpc, if it ain't twisted then there's more of a chance of a cpc slipping out of a terminal after testing thus breaking the earth circuit which could go undetected until it's too late.

but as long as you double the ends of the cpc over it won't slip out of the terminal

but as long as you double the ends of the cpc over it won't slip out of the terminal

True, unless the terminal ain't tightened properly. Basically, if twisted together then the cpc retains it's continuity even if the terminal isn't tightened and it's therefore only the accessory and/or backbox that is potentially unearthed.

Hi Guys,
I am actually an apprentice and i was always led to believe, that when you pull on the CPC of the cable, it can in-fact slightly stretch the CPC, that as you probably know will increase the resistance and cause the earth to be slightly downgraded. As you say tho, test results should tell you if it still passes or not in regards to earth-loop.

By far the easist way to strip T&E is to use the c.p.c. As to this method stretching the cable & reducing the resistance, it will have very little/no measurable effect on value measued. The cable is manufactued by extrusion, so stripping in this way is very unlikely to break the cpc, and of course must be tested.

Reply to stripping twin and earth in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock