Discuss Stroma in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This is just my opinion obviously, as I have been in all the schemes at some point except Stroma.
I was in the NIC for a good many years, even before you had to to be by law, I left them just over 5 years ago after a straw the broke the camels back moment. The feeling I always had with NIC was that THEY were doing you a favour, that you had to jump when they said and it was always a feeling of jumping through hoops for them.

They always reminded me of the old BT attitude where they thought they were God, until competition came on the scene, and even the it took time.
Then there is NAPIT, best way I could describe them is this.. I am the type of electrician that will always use a good quality MK double socket or light switch and not a cheap made in China one that costs pennies, even if it may do the job, hope that explains, Nuff said.

Then there is ECA/Elecsa.. been with these Guys for a few years now. You are the customer and THEIR Boss, that's the karma they give off. But you still need to be on top of your game, but never a feeling of they are out to get you, Even the yearly inspection is a joy, sadly though the guy I had in Cambridge has now retired.. Thinking of anything bad to say about them, but can't, A joy.

your just paying for brand BUT in my time working aside electricians"past 2 years" it has pop'd up a few times "alright you are you registered with

This is just my opinion obviously, as I have been in all the schemes at some point except Stroma.
I was in the NIC for a good many years, even before you had to to be by law, I left them just over 5 years ago after a straw the broke the camels back moment. The feeling I always had with NIC was that THEY were doing you a favour, that you had to jump when they said and it was always a feeling of jumping through hoops for them.

They always reminded me of the old BT attitude where they thought they were God, until competition came on the scene, and even the it took time.
Then there is NAPIT, best way I could describe them is this.. I am the type of electrician that will always use a good quality MK double socket or light switch and not a cheap made in China one that costs pennies, even if it may do the job, hope that explains, Nuff said.

Then there is ECA/Elecsa.. been with these Guys for a few years now. You are the customer and THEIR Boss, that's the karma they give off. But you still need to be on top of your game, but never a feeling of they are out to get you, Even the yearly inspection is a joy, sadly though the guy I had in Cambridge has now retired.. Thinking of anything bad to say about them, but can't, A joy.

Not sure what happened, but the part where I mentioned Stroma is missing :)

Know a few younger guys that use them, heard nothing bad. Like many things these days there is competition out there and you have to work hard to get business, they seem to be doing just that.

I would say if you are just starting out and not taking on big contract work where SOME might ask for NIC or ECA, then I really cannot see the problem. Stroma are a young company starting out as you are, hopefully both will be a great success in the future.

It's nothing to do with it, I'm with a scheme for cheap notifications which I do 2 or 3 every week.

And this is where your sums miss the target a bit... ÂŁ3.60 per notification, so if you do three a week thats ÂŁ518.40 a year for 48 weeks a year.

Stroma ÂŁ1.50 (including the vat) so same figures ÂŁ216 a year. Difference ÂŁ302.40 a year in Stromas favour.

add that to the ÂŁ200 odd a year less for registration to notify and look at it over 5 years, suddenly its....ÂŁ2500 less.

sorry thats alot of money. Its a nice van. Or alot of shiny new tools.

As has been mentioned by others I have worked for schools, police forces, large multinationals and none of them judge me on what badge I have.

Just my opinion but you must like that red and black van sticker alot.....

And this is where your sums miss the target a bit... ÂŁ3.60 per notification, so if you do three a week thats ÂŁ518.40 a year for 48 weeks a year.

Stroma ÂŁ1.50 (including the vat) so same figures ÂŁ216 a year. Difference ÂŁ302.40 a year in Stromas favour.

add that to the ÂŁ200 odd a year less for registration to notify and look at it over 5 years, suddenly its....ÂŁ2500 less.

As has been mentioned by others I have worked for schools, police forces, large multinationals and none of them judge me on what badge I have.

Hi Spart

How have you found Stroma then, apart from the obvious saving in money.. I personally have not heard a bad thing about them

I asked a question at elex and the guy from stroma went on a tangent about cage cramp in switches i asked about the poor quality screws in consumer units all i can say it didnt give me much confidence, felt like he was an ex politician

I asked a question at elex and the guy from stroma went on a tangent about cage cramp in switches i asked about the poor quality screws in consumer units all i can say it didnt give me much confidence, felt like he was an ex politician

Was he talking about the cage clamps in switches etc by any chance? The ones in main switches which are prone to breaking when tightened due to poor screws and thin metal parts, which would be pretty much what you were asking about I assume?

Can you get me a nice van for ÂŁ2500 please ?:tongue:

Personally I prefere to be with the NICEIC, you say it soon adds up, but it makes zero difference to me as I charge ÂŁ2 for the certificate and ÂŁ2 for every notification, it's itemised in every invoice I send out, so really in quids in, it's not costing me to notify them as I just pass it on to the customer. So really if you are saying it's costing you, then you need to look at charging people...

Personally I prefere to be with the NICEIC, you say it soon adds up, but it makes zero difference to me as I charge ÂŁ2 for the certificate and ÂŁ2 for every notification, it's itemised in every invoice I send out, so really in quids in, it's not costing me to notify them as I just pass it on to the customer. So really if you are saying it's costing you, then you need to look at charging people...

Cool man what ever suits you and your business :patriot:

Hi Spart

How have you found Stroma then, apart from the obvious saving in money.. I personally have not heard a bad thing about them

Hi grumpy

very pleasant to deal with, only ever dealt with office staff (all very pleasant helpful and professional) and my assessor who was a top chap. He found something wrong and I was deferred until corrected.

he also had some ideas I had not heard of before and best practise ideas. The best bit being he was a pleasure to deal with.

Oh! And when you notify it emails the bit of paper immediately that you can send to the customer. No waiting three weeks for it to be posted like the others.... All for less than half the price of a certain well known scheme.

ive decided to itemise the notifcation at the other schemes price, and pocket the difference, amounting to a weeks' holiday in Spain every year or a new diamond ring for my wife :rockon2::smartass2::smartass2::smartass2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Stroma in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net