Discuss Stroma in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

what we need is a boycott of all these money grabbing scams. no use a few of us complaining. all sparks should refuse to join. tell LABC to do one as regards notification unless they will accept a cert. provided by a qualified electrician, not some Electrical Trainee. who's paid a scam.

But then the rich won't get richer...... They will be sad...... :(

most scotsmen need notifying, or is it certifying?

Work requiring a building warrant requires certification in Scotland.
the two schemes that run up here are select ( Scottish ECA) and the niceic.
you can also submit certification "by enquiry"
meaning a copy of your grade card and quals , a calibration certificate for your testers and a 7671 form for whatever work is carried out.
some labc do not accept this though .
if you are in a scheme and also a registered certifier of construction(£50 ex vat per year on top of your fees btw)
you buy certificates of construction online for £5.00 ex vat each
these are logged on line along with a checklist to the sbsc.
you also give the customer your 7671 and fire alarm / em lighting certification along with the certificate of construction.
Dont bother joining stroma as the scheme is not part of the sbsc .

Maybe it's my ignorance that should be excused lol!

The architect had just asked if I was with a scheme, I told him I was looking into joining one, and a company I was looking at doing subby work for requires me to be part of a competent persons scheme, I just thought if I joined Stroma it would save hassle!

They tried to call me twice yesterday but didn't realise it was them until I checked the number later, will speak to them and ask why I should join.

I got my Part-P through STROMA two weeks ago and the process went very smoothly. As far as I could see 50% of the assessment was on the paper-work and 50% on-site assessment. You have to pay the first fee up front as that is the charge for the assessment. If you have all the paperwork and you know what you are doing you shouldn't have any problem.

I got my Part-P through STROMA two weeks ago and the process went very smoothly. As far as I could see 50% of the assessment was on the paper-work and 50% on-site assessment. You have to pay the first fee up front as that is the charge for the assessment. If you have all the paperwork and you know what you are doing you shouldn't have any problem.

They haven't told me what paperwork etc is required, that's what I would have expected before asking for money.

Paperwork required at my assessment (in England) as far as I can remember it:

copies of regs docs: 17th edition, OSG, GN3, Elec at work 1989, Part P
certificates of qualifications: NVQ level 3, 17th edition
equipment calibration certificates
insurance
risk assessment example
customer complaints procedure
evidence of a filing system
H&S policy
completed testing forms for the assessment site
copies of contracts with subcontractors (if any)

I would like to pick up on the paperwork side of things here, as I must say the risk assessment was one of the many contentious points raised during my assessment. Now, I only do domestic work, yet I was asked to provide a sample RA. My previous scheme (NAPIT)had not asked for one, and to honest I never use them, I can't see the point in a domestic situation. We ended up having quite a, shall we say, vigorous argument about this. He insisted that a RA was submitted and signed by the customer before starting work, I told him I thought that was unnecessary and frankly a bit stupid in most domestic circumstances. I asked him exactly what he thought should be in it, and how it would work in reality, to which he didn't have much of an answer. I then asked him if he was sure he wasn't getting mixed up with having an RA for your own employees if you have 5 or more, which I don't. He went away with a comment about requiring to see them next year. So, I then emailed several people at Stroma, on two occasions, to ask what exactly they required and had they got a sample RA, and why it was needed anyway. I never got a reply, which is typical. I will use this as my argument next time, if there is one. Hopefully the assessor won't be a numbskull next time.........

I would like to pick up on the paperwork side of things here, as I must say the risk assessment was one of the many contentious points raised during my assessment. Now, I only do domestic work, yet I was asked to provide a sample RA. My previous scheme (NAPIT)had not asked for one, and to honest I never use them, I can't see the point in a domestic situation. We ended up having quite a, shall we say, vigorous argument about this. He insisted that a RA was submitted and signed by the customer before starting work, I told him I thought that was unnecessary and frankly a bit stupid in most domestic circumstances. I asked him exactly what he thought should be in it, and how it would work in reality, to which he didn't have much of an answer. I then asked him if he was sure he wasn't getting mixed up with having an RA for your own employees if you have 5 or more, which I don't. He went away with a comment about requiring to see them next year. So, I then emailed several people at Stroma, on two occasions, to ask what exactly they required and had they got a sample RA, and why it was needed anyway. I never got a reply, which is typical. I will use this as my argument next time, if there is one. Hopefully the assessor won't be a numbskull next time.........

What a muppet....

I would like to pick up on the paperwork side of things here, as I must say the risk assessment was one of the many contentious points raised during my assessment. Now, I only do domestic work, yet I was asked to provide a sample RA. My previous scheme (NAPIT)had not asked for one, and to honest I never use them, I can't see the point in a domestic situation.................................... I will use this as my argument next time, if there is one. Hopefully the assessor won't be a numbskull next time.........
Elecsa have a draft copy document for H&S and RA as a download, which you just amend and add your details My assessor asks for this document every time, but never reads it. The idea being you complete an RA for every job, I don't. Sure Stroma must have something similar. You might also need to have a look at 'Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015, and see if that affects you.

Reply to Stroma in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net