Discuss Structural steel bonding clamps in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am working on a kitchen extension which has 3 Universal Beams bolted together which sit on block-work. There is no direct connection to earth. However when tested it has a path to MET of 2kOhm.

As a result I plan to bond this steelwork.

The design of the room means these beams will be exposed. Getting a Furse1 style clamp on the beam will be pretty clunky. One of the bolted connections will be hidden so I am currently planning on getting a Earth Tag onto the end of the M22 bolt.
Is there any product that isn't an M25 or M20 style earth tag available? Or is my plan to use a 25mm SWA earth tag sandwiched between two M22 washers a reasonable solution?
I could perhaps get a BS951 clamp on the thread of the bolt but the surface area of the thread might not be a great contact.

I'm not too keen to drill a hole in the steel for a smaller connection.

The structural steel is also getting a thick coating of a Fire Retardant paint inline with Part B.

Any thoughts?

Ant

1 https://www.electrika.com/catalogue...S350/-METALWORK-BD-FOR-8MM-COPPER/part/127596

I personally don’t think it should be bonded,it’s gonna be painted,it’s actually on blockwork so no direct contact with Earth.
How are you getting the ohm reading.
[automerge]1590223616[/automerge]
A reading below 22,000 ohms will mean the metallic item is an extraneous-conductive-part which does require bonding.

I doubt that the beams require bonding plus are they not covered within the building fabric so are not accessible to touch?

Thats
I personally don’t think it should be bonded,it’s gonna be painted,it’s actually on blockwork so no direct contact with Earth.
How are you getting the ohm reading.
[automerge]1590223616[/automerge]
A reading below 22,000 ohms will mean the metallic item is an extraneous-conductive-part which does require bonding.
I'm getting the reading with a Megger1730 and Zero'ed wander lead.

This is why I am planning on making the bond. Even if you considered the Ib value to be 0.03A you'd need the resistance to be at least 6667ohms.

I'm not sure why I am getting a relatively low resistance path to earth. I'll double check my readings next week.
One of the steels will have an aluminium framed bifold door underneath so wonder if its worth bonding anyway as this will probably decrease this resistance reading further. Depending on fixings etc.

I wondered if I could get away with saying its not exposed so unlikely to introduce a potential. Will double check the exact wording in the Blue book when I can drag myself to the vehicle.
[automerge]1590225845[/automerge]
I doubt that the beams require bonding plus are they not covered within the building fabric so are not accessible to touch?
They are exposed but will be coated in a fire retardant paint which I imagine to be fairly thick.
[automerge]1590226090[/automerge]
How high are these beams and have they recently been installed on freshly laid blockwork?
They are standard door height approximately, for arguments sake lets say 2m.
One of the steels spans new brick peirs but been in situ for a few weeks. There are three ends that are on old brickwork.

But either way, the resistance to MET is still less than 22,000 Ohms.

Last edited:
Using a banjo and washers seems like a goo idea, or maybe a U-bolt sort of clamp that you could use a M8 ring terminal on such as this:

You can get proper earth clamps for beams (big versions of the radiator earth clamps) will look...
[automerge]1590230164[/automerge]
Something like this, but ideally with a pointed-tip bolt is what I was thinking of:

Using a banjo and washers seems like a goo idea, or maybe a U-bolt sort of clamp that you could use a M8 ring terminal on such as this:

You can get proper earth clamps for beams (big versions of the radiator earth clamps) will look...
[automerge]1590230164[/automerge]
Something like this, but ideally with a pointed-tip bolt is what I was thinking of:
I had looked at the furse style clamp in the original post. Unfortunately as these need to clamp onto the edge of the flange it will be tricky to hide as all flanges are either totally visible or they will be behind a finished plastered surface so any flange clamp will protrude into the room. At least going on to the bolts on the web they are a little more hidden from view.

Last edited:
Do you need more than one bond, or are the beams all electrically connected as a structure?

If you are going to bond them the connections cannot be rendered inaccessible.
Gotya, but hidden on a web which is out of view is fine.
[automerge]1590230971[/automerge]
Do you need more than one bond, or are the beams all electrically connected as a structure?
They are all bolted together with M22 bolts. I'd need to check for sure but I'd hope the fixings give a decent enough connection.

If the blockwork is relatively new it's likely that the 2k reading is simply from moisture in the building structure. If it can be visually verified that there is no direct contact with anything earthy I see no reason to bond.

Another possibility is to check it is OK to drill one of the webs, then drill and countersink to allow a M8 or whatever countersunk bolt & nut to be fitted to provide you with a stud for earthing out of view. If the beams are being coated anyway the flush head will probably disappear from view completely (or at least look like part of an engineered structure).

The stud and nut part would need to be protected during coating so you can later remove the protection and have a clean contact point for a ring terminal, etc.
[automerge]1590231489[/automerge]
It is a pity they used M22, as for M20 you can get small-ish ring terminals such as these:

Another possibility is to check it is OK to drill one of the webs, then drill and countersink to allow a M8 or whatever countersunk bolt & nut to be fitted to provide you with a stud for earthing out of view.

I normally drill and tap for earth connections to steel whenever possible, I feel it gives a solid connection to bare metal via the threads that doesn't rely so much on the surface of the steel being in perfect condition.

Reply to Structural steel bonding clamps in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock