Discuss struggling to find info on street lighting LUX levels in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mad house

Hi All

Can anyone tell me what the lux level requirements are for street lighting.

the area I am concerned with is a residential complex consisting of 5 two story residential units and a day centre building more or less in a U shaped configuration, a walkway follows the building line 3 of the buildings are 8ft below the road way with a grassed bank up to a foot path and parking area , a double ramp for disabled access either end of these buildings, and stepped access in the centre. there a re 9 columns with tamlight avocet post heads with mbf/u lamps. I suspect they are only 80W as I am only reading 7 lux at the base of the post 2-3 lux midpoint between posts, foot path and middle of the road. similar readings across walkway down the banked area.

I Have ordered a copy of BS 5489 and any online info is about as useful as losing an eyelid.

you dont say if this is an adopted syatem or non adopted If its to be adopted by the L.A. then they will supply within their spesification if Not adopted then Building comntrol may have a say re Lux levels within a development

i was speaking to dude the other day fixing the street lights and he was saying they 70W or 55w bulb.. if thats any help
SOX is 55w unlikley to be used on posttops unless realy old
70 son T produces light orange light
70w son (E) produces a lighter near white orange
80w/125 MBfU can produce a whiteish light BUT not liked now as the efficiency isnt that great green issues about mercury ect ect they also burn with a purplish tinge when "going"
70w Halide Bright white now the "prefered " type of lighting as good efficency green ect ect

thanks mogga it is unadopted. I believe they are MbfU lamps manufacturer only supplies SON or MbfU in this fitting without a doubt it isn't sodium. the facility deals with vulnerable people, I have recently taken over maintaining the site IMO average 2-4 lux on the ground is not adequate. Replacing the lamps would give me what + 25% for a few months, records indicate they where replaced 18 months ago.
the info I need is what is the minimum LUX on the ground due to the changes in elevation amount of light into bedroom windows. litigation costs more than "green".

I have been recommended the Dialux software for lighting calculations, this has a section for street lighting and maybe of use to you. I haven't used it yet but it is meant to be very useful.

The software is free to download from Software: DIAL - light. building. software.
I think that you would only need about 5 lux for minimum usable lighting up to perhaps 15 lux for precise movement.

Just my thoughts not full information.

Reply to struggling to find info on street lighting LUX levels in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net