Discuss Struggling to get hands on apprentice work.. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HumbleWorker 91RT

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Apologise's in advance for the rant but I am at a loss.

I've posted on here a fair amount asking for advice and opinions on things. Such as the tools I should get to start in the trade, avenues to go down for work, what the courses which you guys need for the box ticking allowing you to step foot in the door so to speak.

I've got albeit basic hand tools, decent combi/impact and sds set and transport. I've got a CSCS card as a labourer.

I'm now getting to the point where I've put flyers in electrical wholesalers around near me, I've rang around at least twice every electrical contractor I could find via phone book, online and through friends and family.

Still I haven't got anything sorted work wise, not even labouring. I got the option to work for someone turns out the commute daily would of been 135 mile round trip just to be an apprentice! The employer was realistic and said it was too much for me after a week he couldn't let me do it for the amount he was paying me.

I want to become a decent hardworking electrician but I am running out of avenues to make it happen any suggestions?

Regards,
HW

You could go and see a construction agency and explain about electrical labouring and try to get a place there. May be something local.

It is not just electrical contractors who do electrical work, property maintenance companies, service companies, In house maintenance teams for big companies, as Rpa07 says, construction companies, kitchen fitters, building renovators.
All worth approaching, also it can sometimes be useful to arrive in person and ask the question, it is harder to say no to someone standing in front of you (;)), also you may be able to get into conversation and they may be able to recommend someone else (possibly fob you off) to talk to.
Possibly if you are going past a construction site you could ask the foreman if there are any positions going.
There is a government website for finding an apprenticeship which you may be lucky and find something on.
Try and put forward a positive approach every time you ask, even now when things are looking bad and depressing if you can muster up the acting skills to be keen and interested this will tend to go over better than being negative, even though I can
understand why you may be negative.
Perhaps get someone to review your CV and see if you can tweak it to appeal to a wider audience or have more appeal to your target employers.
Do not give up hope and keep trying, there is something out there for you.

Good luck.

Reply to Struggling to get hands on apprentice work.. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock