Discuss Struggling to get practical Experience in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys! I've been on this forum before under the name BarryJ90 however I lost access to my old email address so I've had to sign up again!

Anyhow I'm posting as I'm looking for advice. My dad is a spark however due to an injury he has had to put work on hold for a bit. Due to this I am struggling to gain any practical experience.

I have just finished up my level 1 and will be going on to my level 2 in September(part time evening course) which I'm looking forward to however I'm a bit concerned I won't pick things up as quick if I'm not doing any work outside of college.

I have literally sent emails and letters to most companies in the Stockport/Manchester area asking whether anyone needs a hand a few days a week, I even put I was willing to work for pretty much free in order to gain some experience however out of about 200 companies I contacted only 1 replied and even that was a thanks but no thanks.

I'm 27 years old so I'm wondering whether this is my downfall as most people seem to want to take on lads fresh out of school on full time courses!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Don't know if you would be interested, but if you search Smart Meter Tranees there are plenty of positions about, I applied but got a not interested, thank you, but I'm 71, so read into that what you will, but it's worth a try if you are interested.

Don't know if you would be interested, but if you search Smart Meter Tranees there are plenty of positions about, I applied but got a not interested, thank you, but I'm 71, so read into that what you will, but it's worth a try if you are interested.
At least you would have checked the tightness of existing connections Pete. As advised above I would try agencies as an improver/mate to carry on with electrical installation experience until your dad is fit and well to carry on. With respect to Pete, I don't think to do smart meter changes will give you the experience you are seeking.Good luck and hope your Dad makes a good recovery.

At least you would have checked the tightness of existing connections Pete. As advised above I would try agencies as an improver/mate to carry on with electrical installation experience until your dad is fit and well to carry on. With respect to Pete, I don't think to do smart meter changes will give you the experience you are seeking.Good luck and hope your Dad makes a good recovery.
I did say to apply only if he was interested, but you are right may not be the best option for him, just trying to help, and yes get well soon Dad.

Cheers for all the replies lads! I did look at agencies but they all want me to have certain cards like ECS etc which I don't have.

Me old man needs a double hip replacement so when he returns I will pretty much be doing all the leg work for him which I'm cool with....can't beat it under them floorboards ;) but until then I was looking for something to help me progress.

I will keep asking around to see if anyone on domestic jobs need a mate for a few months.

Ta all

P.S cheers Pete but the smart meter installing is not my sort of thing, cheers for the heads up though.

Will no doubt move to commercial eventually however for the next few years I want to gain working with me dad til he retires. I've been told by quite a few that's where the money is though!

It is hard to get a start but they do come along eventually. Try all the electrical wholesalers in the area you are prepared to travel to and ask nicely to place a small advert in them, explain to them you are struggling to get a start and they will probably oblige. Be brief on the ad dont make it to long and you may well get a call.

It is hard to get a start but they do come along eventually. Try all the electrical wholesalers in the area you are prepared to travel to and ask nicely to place a small advert in them, explain to them you are struggling to get a start and they will probably oblige. Be brief on the ad dont make it to long and you may well get a call.
Thanks for the advice mate!

Talk to you dad , check he has nothing up his sleeve ,(or un voiced criticism / more practice ....
( I remember the shame / akwarness having my dad train me to drive .. could have arranged things better - if there were no other options )... eating own pride..

Blimey Mart... Your in a HUGELY advantageous position to most having a dad whos a Spark!

They try and get hip replacements up and moving as soon as poss so you'll be getting under them floorboards soon lad:)

If you go to an agency they most certainly have site work where you would need ECS card, when I applied for redoing the H & S test I was able to site it in about three weeks. If that's the route that you want to take then I would get on to it ASAP. When you go to the wholesalers get chatting to other contractors, it's surprising what you get chatting about ie,"Oh yes our company is looking for electricians"

Hi guys! I've been on this forum before under the name BarryJ90 however I lost access to my old email address so I've had to sign up again!

Anyhow I'm posting as I'm looking for advice. My dad is a spark however due to an injury he has had to put work on hold for a bit. Due to this I am struggling to gain any practical experience.

I have just finished up my level 1 and will be going on to my level 2 in September(part time evening course) which I'm looking forward to however I'm a bit concerned I won't pick things up as quick if I'm not doing any work outside of college.

I have literally sent emails and letters to most companies in the Stockport/Manchester area asking whether anyone needs a hand a few days a week, I even put I was willing to work for pretty much free in order to gain some experience however out of about 200 companies I contacted only 1 replied and even that was a thanks but no thanks.

I'm 27 years old so I'm wondering whether this is my downfall as most people seem to want to take on lads fresh out of school on full time courses!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Did you get sorted, I would like to do something like this, I am also in the Stockport / Manchester area.

Reply to Struggling to get practical Experience in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net