Discuss Stuck lift in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Afternoon

An old lift has gone down but wont come back up :)

Basically there is a lift, made by Evans Lifts Ltd Leicster, probably 1960's era im guessing
it is a goods lift and has a sliding lattice door that you have to pull across before it will move from one floor to another.

Someone was using the lift and is not sure whether they slid the door across correctly. but basically the lift wont move now.

Has anyone got any ideas. is there something wrong with the door contact??

the photo below is of the controls if that helps. it is currently stuck at the basement floor

Stuck lift IMG-20200324-WA0013 - EletriciansForums.net

If the doors weren't shut correctly it shouldn't have moved in the first place. I assume you have tried opening and shutting the doors a few times.

If the doors weren't shut correctly it shouldn't have moved in the first place. I assume you have tried opening and shutting the doors a few times.
Yes that is what i thought. yes the doors have been opened and shut a few times. it has both phase and neutral and the supply has been turned off and on again...
Problem is im not there - just a worker at the shop doing tests for me :)

Depends on whether the original system is in place or has been upgraded. You have door interlocks, speed limiters, shaft interlocks, maintenance switches etc... Any one of these will prevent operation, do you have experience with lifts.

Afternoon

Basically there is a lift, made by Evans Lifts Ltd Leicster, probably 1960's era im guessing
it is a goods lift and has a sliding lattice door that you have to pull across before it will move from one floor to another.

Someone was using the lift and is not sure whether they slid the door across correctly. but basically the lift wont move now.

the photo below is of the controls if that helps. it is currently stuck at the basement floor

View attachment 56552
Make sure the lift door and all the landing doors are completely shut.
Some gate locks have a double action .Make sure they are completely shut without gaps. If you have access to the lift control room check for tripped breakers , double journey relay , and phase failure. Good luck!

Afternoon

View attachment 56552
No, other than time for some in debth fault finding.

Yes that is what i am thinking. There is an emergency red mushroom switch but has been reset. what kind of safety circuit would a lift this old have??
The safety circuit in a lift of this era was simply a chain of series contacts and e-stop switches . Without a drawing you would be lucky if you found where it was broken.

The safety circuit in a lift of this era was simply a chain of series contacts and e-stop switches . Without a drawing you would be lucky if you found where it was broken.
Logical testing should find the problem?

Depends on whether the original system is in place or has been upgraded. You have door interlocks, speed limiters, shaft interlocks, maintenance switches etc... Any one of these will prevent operation, do you have experience with lifts.
Yes ok. i would have thought it was something to do with the door interlocks.
No, im afraid i dont have much experience with lifts. hopefully this will give me some experience :)
[automerge]1585068538[/automerge]
Yes ok. i know that there is a drawing in the control box, i will see if i can get a photo of it.

Aside from doing some routine checks as in #7 I would keep clear, lift shafts are dangerous environments if you don't have knowledge of the system and safety precautions.

Aside from doing some routine checks as in #7 I would keep clear, lift shafts are dangerous environments if you don't have knowledge of the system and safety precautions.
Yes ok. I accept your advice. to be clear, this is a goods lift, with control gear in an adjacent room, so it is safer than some lift gear :)
However, i agree that lifts are dangerous things.

Can you take a pic of the controller? As per Freddo you should not really tinker with safety components such as door locks. However, if the DJR is tripped or something like that it might be acceptable to reset it once.

A lift is a lift whether it is goods or passenger. The safety system which is the most likely cause may have opened through failure or for a reason so you need to establish this and you don't have the knowledge to decide this

Can you take a pic of the controller? As per Freddo you should not really tinker with safety components such as door locks. However, if the DJR is tripped or something like that it might be acceptable to reset it once.
sorry im not on site at the moment. will put a pic on if i manage to go there tomorrow

Not our department -was lift overloaded and possibly over traveled -- Lift engineer needed to verify no damage !
A jobsworth excuse mate, did you make safe before throwing the towel in? More importantly did you charge for the call out?

Reply to Stuck lift in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock