Discuss Stuck on a test question? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Can someone show me where im going wrong please?

A 0.25H inductor has a resistance of 35 Ohms and is connected in series with a capacitor of 42uF. they are connected to an AC 230V supply at 50Hz, what is the circuits current? show your working ?

Although the resistance is stated to be the DC resistance of the inductor, it can be treated as a separate component for analysis. Therefore you could begin with an equation for the impedance of a series LCR circuit.

Give us your thoughts and someone might help.
I was thinking:

Inductive reactance XL=2xPixfxL
XL=2x3.14x50x0.25
XL =78.5398 ohms

Capacitive reactance XC=1 / (2xPixfxC)
XC=1 / (2x3.14x50x42uf)
XC=7.578 ohms

Together with the 35 ohm resistor that makes a total resistance of 121.117 ohms

I=V/R
I=230/121.117
I=1.898A

Am I missing anything here?

I was thinking:

XL=2x3.14x50x0.25
XL =78.5398 ohms

XC=1 / (2x3.14x50x42uf)
XC=7.578 ohms

I=V/R
I=230/121.117
I=1.898A

Am I missing anything here

I was thinking:

XL=2x3.14x50x0.25
XL =78.5398 ohms

XC=1 / (2x3.14x50x42uf)
XC=7.578 ohms

I=V/R
I=230/121.117
I=1.898A

ok I think i know what i did wrong, im using 42 micro farads in a formal meant to farads ?

so now id say:
XC=1 / (2x3.14x50x42uf)
XC=75.78 ohms
Bringing the total resistance upto 189.32 (189.3198 but you know...)

I=V/R
I=230/189.32
I=1.214A

id greatly appreciate if anyone could double check this for me

Yes. One cannot simply add reactances to resistances as scalar values, because their impedance components are not in-phase. For example, if you pass a current through a resistor and inductor in series, although the current through the two will be in phase, the voltages developed across them will be in quadrature (differing in phase by 90° i.e. Π/2 rad)

Start out with the formula for a series RLC circuit. Quote it here and try either explaining why it is like it is, or even just try plugging your numbers into it and see what comes out. We can explain if you get stuck.

BTW Are you familiar with phasor diagrams and/or complex number notation for AC circuit analysis?

Yes. One cannot simply add reactances to resistances as scalar values, because their impedance components are not in-phase. For example, if you pass a current through a resistor and inductor in series, although the current through the two will be in phase, the voltages developed across them will be in quadrature (90° or Π/2 rad apart.)

Start out with the formula for a series LCR circuit. Quote it here and try either explaining why it is like it is, or even just try plugging your numbers into it and see what comes out. We can explain if you get stuck.

BTW Are you familiar with phasor diagrams and/or complex number notation for AC circuit analysis?
so my answer is wrong then? lol and ye iv used phasor diagrams before

Yes, it's wrong. You've added the magnitudes of R, Xc and Xl without considering their relative phase angles. You must treat them as vectors, but the actual working can be simplified because Xc and Xl are parallel (although in antiphase) and perpendicular to R. So you can calculate it as a simple triangle.
If you start out with the formula like I suggested, that aspect will become clear.

Yes, it's wrong. You've added the magnitudes of R, Xc and Xl without considering their relative phase angles. You must treat them as vectors, but the actual working can be simplified because Xc and Xl are parallel (although in antiphase) and perpendicular to R. So you can calculate it as a simple triangle.
If you start out with the formula like I suggested, that aspect will become clear.
thankyou, i will give it another go now

Z=R2+(XL-XC)2 = 7.5625ohms

I=230/7.5625
I= 30.413A

right! lets do this again lol

z=the square root of R2+(XL-XC)2
= 35.1078ohms

I=V/R
=230/35.1078
=6.55A

Yup, looks right.
Note that because of the particular values of inductance and capacitance chosen in the question, at 50Hz their reactances are almost equal in magnitude and almost cancel out due to being in antiphase.
When Xc = Xl the circuit is at resonance, the impedance is simply the resistance and φ=0.

Yup, looks right.
Note that because of the particular values of inductance and capacitance chosen in the question, at 50Hz their reactances are almost equal in magnitude and almost cancel out due to being in antiphase.
When Xc = Xl the circuit is at resonance, the impedance is simply the resistance and φ=0.
brilliant thankyou, could you look at my other post by any chance?

Reply to Stuck on a test question? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock