Discuss Stupid customers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Paul.M

-
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
I was in my local last week and a bloke approached me and asked if I was a sparky? Ya see I've got a small problem. Every time I get a shower all my lights go off unless I have the widow open but its getting too cold to do that now. Told him it needs looking at asap. He lives 5 mins away so off we go to his house. Shock horror. Metal light fitting, 240v, not rcd protected and reachable when having a shower. Told him to go and buy himself a new IP rated light asap and I'll fit it for twenty quid beer money before going to our local.... It's been a week now and I don't think I've over priced the job. Rather he can't be bothered or he is in his bath tub dead? Haven't seen him in the pub at all this week.

Wonder why the window makes the lights go off though?

Sorry I should have explained it better. Steam/condensation shorting the fitting. Also forgot to mention that all the lights in the house are in one mcb so when it trips he has to go down two flights of stairs to the basement in the dark with just a towel round him to reset the mcb. Hope he dries his hands first.

Steam going up to the fitting i'd wager

Argh beaten to it.

He probably thought the same as everyone does. 'Oh it's only a couple of wires how hard can it be'........ BANG!

I shouldn't joke, it could be true.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's probably changed it himself to save a couple of quid. I hope he follows the step by step instructions correctly especially the one that states "must be carried out by a competent person". After all its only a couple of wires as already said above by rocker, by the way how's your back and have you had enough of day time telly yet, ha ha.

Last edited:
He's probably changed it himself to save a couple of quid. I hope he follows the step by step instructions correctly especially the one that states "must be carried out by a competent person". After all its only a couple of wires as already said above.
It is only a couple of wires and being from gods country (yorkshire) you prob scared him off with the cost of 20 quid, suprised he is in the shower long enough to get room full of steam!!

It is only a couple of wires and being from gods country (yorkshire) you prob scared him off with the cost of 20 quid, suprised he is in the shower long enough to get room full of steam!!

You've got a point there. I should have offered him to pay at £5 per month interest free, that may have been the deal breaker :p

darwins theory of evolution in operation
if he tops himself in the shower its one less idiot to reproduce
nominate him for the darwin awards
Brilliant
we should refuse to do any work for this type of plonker and we could contribute to the evolution of the species !!;)

He's probably changed it himself to save a couple of quid. I hope he follows the step by step instructions correctly especially the one that states "must be carried out by a competent person". After all its only a couple of wires as already said above by rocker, by the way how's your back and have you had enough of day time telly yet, ha ha.

So he's used your knowledge and experience to diagnose the problem!!!
Next time say "buy me a couple of pints now and i'll come and look at it for you". At least that way you get something for your time !

could have told him to take a shower while he fitted it, so as to ensure a good connection

Reply to Stupid customers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock