Discuss Stupid question re: moving distribution board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ranger

-
Reaction score
Firstly, I am not going to do any of this myself as I know my limitations!

I have got costs for my distributor and supplier to move my feed/meter positions and need the tails moving (obviously) and distribution board moving as well.

My question is does the electrician, generally, simply put junctions to extend all the cables from their current length for the extra 1m needed or does it mean a rewire? I am just trying to get an idea of the amount/ease of the work required when I plan the gradual refurbishment of my house as we live in it

My question is does the electrician, generally, simply put junctions to extend all the cables from their current length for the extra 1m needed or does it mean a rewire? I am just trying to get an idea of the amount/ease of the work required when I plan the gradual refurbishment of my house as we live in it
maybe you should get a spark in to easy the pain .

Sorry, I haven't made sense. I want to move the fuse board (and meter) as it is currently at eye level in a cupboard that is being removed and put at a lower level inside or behind (with access) a kitchen base cabinet.

The meter is going to be moved to an external site so I will need longer tails but what I am wondering about is the fact all the wires for the ring main, lighting etc terminate (coming from above behind drylining) at eye level and I will want them terminating approx 1m lower.

I am just trying to understand what the implications are as the meter move and longer tails will be done first and then the move of the distribution board at a later date as I can afford it, obviously more expensive but means I can programme work as I can afford it

Agree with above - all the circuit cables can be extended neatly in a safe manner using proper equipment. Get a couple of quotes from recognised electricians, recommendations are good because they’ll need to know what they are doing and do it well.

Rpa07, thanks that is all I wanted to know before I went to an electrician and made myself look stupid! Whilst I imagined that was the solution I have no idea how to achieve it and am happy to pay someone with the knowledge and skills to do it

Firstly agree with the previous comments on seeking advice from an electrician etc.

If you are going to the bother & cost of moving you consumer unit (distribution board), I would locate it somewhere more assessable than in a floor unit of a kitchen.

As Rpa07 said; Dependant on the existing circuits you have installed, these can be refed from another point on that circuit, and the old feed from the CU to the first point could be removed, or just rewire the existing circuit feeds. An alternative is to extend the existing cables to the new CU position, using a suitable enclosure with din rail connectors. But that won't relieve you of the existing CU obstruction.

In essence it can easily done, but at cost and some disruption.

I would agree with Midwest about avoiding a kitchen base unit. The back of a base unit is a dreadful place to find a consumer unit when you have to work on it, low down, head in the back of a tight cupboard, sometimes can be a nightmare.

As Midwest and SJD said, don't put in kitchen base unit. It will cost you far more in electricians charges later, when you want more work done. Can you locate it in the room above? The cables might be long enough then.

AND bear in mind the cables have to get to the new fuseboard ...... so beware where you might plan to put it due to all the cables that you or your kitchen fitter might drill into later

The meter is going to be moved to an external site so I will need longer tails but what I am wondering about is the fact all the wires for the ring main, lighting etc terminate (coming from above behind drylining) at eye level and I will want them terminating approx 1m lower.
Do you mean an external meter box position on an outer wall, with the distribution board on the wall behind it on the inside? Generally, meter tails don't exceed 3m.

I am just trying to understand what the implications are as the meter move and longer tails will be done first and then the move of the distribution board at a later date as I can afford it, obviously more expensive but means I can programme work as I can afford it
You will essentially be paying for the job to be done twice. Decide on the new permanent position and do the job once, when you can afford it. A temporary solution would need to be wired and tested, the same as a permanent one.

Sorry, I haven't made sense. I want to move the fuse board (and meter) as it is currently at eye level in a cupboard that is being removed and put at a lower level inside or behind (with access) a kitchen base cabinet.

Can't see the meter move & CU change happening at the same time.
No nor me

Cut out could be outside with meter inside. If meter goes and joins the cutout in the meter cupboard initially meter tails or SWA could go that distance meter to retermination in Cu then if extra SWA or tails was provided CU moved at later date - still gonna cost though and you can bet the DNO will be the more costly (even for a smaller job)

Cut out could be outside with meter inside. If meter goes and joins the cutout in the meter cupboard initially meter tails or SWA could go that distance meter to re termination in Cu then if extra SWA or tails was provided CU moved at later date - still gonna cost though and you can bet the DNO will be the more costly (even for a smaller job)

Does everybody realise the maximum tails lenght?

Looked a job the other day , nice new metal clad isolator in the meter box ............. swa ................. about 7 meters long to shiny new CU .......... no OCPD other than DNO fuse.........

I was wondering if the DNO fuse was 60A ?

OK, you have convinced me to wait until I have the bathroom moved upstairs which then gives me a room downstairs that the consumer unit etc can sit in at what ever height best suits the electrician doing it.

The details from the distribution people does specify a max of 3m between the main switches (I presume the consumer unit) and the meter cabinet

Reply to Stupid question re: moving distribution board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock