Discuss Sub main joining niceic advise Needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Joining niceic and doing a sub main to a garage off a tns earthing arrangement using 6mm Swa. The question is I have 25mm tails on 100a main fuse to a down rated dp isolator with a 63a fuse from there the swa. I'm filling in the eic for them to view do I put the 100a or 63a main fuse size in and 16mm main earth or 6mm for the circuit many thanks for the help

"The supply is the supply" - still rings in my ears from my boss a long time ago....
In other words, the supply section near the beginning of the EIC always relates to the origin of the supply in every way.

See the bit in the distribution board section for where the board is not connected to the origin of the supply - that bit needs filling out.

Forgive me asking, but how have you run the cable? e.g. clipped direct, underground etc... (I'm just wondering about the cable rating.)

"The supply is the supply" - still rings in my ears from my boss a long time ago....
In other words, the supply section near the beginning of the EIC always relates to the origin of the supply in every way.

See the bit in the distribution board section for where the board is not connected to the origin of the supply - that bit needs filling out.

Forgive me asking, but how have you run the cable? e.g. clipped direct, underground etc... (I'm just wondering about the cable rating.)
Clipped direct then goes down under the concrete 600mm down and warning tape it's underground for only a distance of 650mm and back up into the garage to a DB only using 26a max 1 light circuit 1 radial. And thank you for the reply

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Clipped direct then goes down under the concrete 600mm down and warning tape it's underground for only a distance of 650mm and back up into the garage to a DB only using 26a max 1 light circuit 1 radial. And thank you for the reply

Working from memory here, but the assessor might not be impressed with that cable being protected by a 63A fuse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Look at table 4E4A, page 464 of big brown book.
Consider if the 63A fuse is the right choice for the protective device.

OK I should downgrade the fuse
Working from memory here, but the assessor might not be impressed with that cable being protected by a 63A fuse.

I'm an apprentice and working from memory, but fairly certain 63A protection wouldn't be acceptable. Better to check than take my word for this.

Look at table 4E4A, page 464 of big brown book.
Consider if the 63A fuse is the right choice for the protective device.
Looking at the table from what I see 6mm clipped direct 62a and in the ground 53a is that what you have

Looking at the table from what I see 6mm clipped direct 62a and in the ground 53a is that what you have
Yes. So the cable can carry 53A at most onerous point. Do you see the issue with the 63A fuse? (reg 433.1.1)
Sounds about right for 2 core.
He's in the right column for a single-phase supply, even if he has a 3rd core as a CPC.

Sounds about right if 2 core.
Yes. So the cable can carry 53A at most onerous point. Do you see the issue with the 63A fuse? (reg 433.1.1)

He's in the right column for a single-phase supply, even if he has a 3rd core as a CPC.
I do have three cores one as cpc. I'll look for a lower fuse

Don't want to sound negative here but if you are trying to join the NICEIC you should know rudimentary cable sizing.
I've done cable sizing before but have been told for ages what to put. I asked the chap I worked for before I said I was going to see he said stick 63a in if its the lowest in box.... Should of looked to check its my own fault its on me. When I said I wanted to join niceic and now he doesn't talk I'm on my own. I thank you for your help I'll look for a 40a fuse for it

I've done cable sizing before but have been told for ages what to put. I asked the chap I worked for before I said I was going to see he said stick 63a in if its the lowest in box.... Should of looked to check its my own fault its on me. When I said I wanted to join niceic and now he doesn't talk I'm on my own. I thank you for your help I'll look for a 40a fuse for it

53 and 44 😕3 core maybe I should select a lower rated fuse
Thanks for your help it's very much appreciated guys

Hang around here for a bit, keep reading the regs book, and in no time you'll be able to outsmart most of the people coming to assess you 😉 (but never be too clever, they like to think they are experts!)
Main thing at the beginning is to be able show you know what you are doing with testing.

Hang around here for a bit, keep reading the regs book, and in no time you'll be able to outsmart most of the people coming to assess you 😉 (but never be too clever, they like to think they are experts!)
Main thing at the beginning is to be able show you know what you are doing with testing.
Thanks for the help and thanks for the advice it's very much appreciated 👍

Reply to Sub main joining niceic advise Needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock