Discuss Sub main RCD protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jimmyjazz

Hi All,
Think I know the answer but just looking for other options....I have been asked to install sub main 60 amp isolation switch supplying already installed 16mm T & E under floor to RCD protected consumer unit. Approx. 2 mtr of 16mm is in wall. I understand that regs require RCD protection for cable in wall, but I am trying to avoid loosing all circuits in event of trip. Would this also apply for meter tails from cut out passing through/up walls? Any ideas?

Yes it would.
I've got around a problem with meter tails once by having a 3mm metal plate fabricated to cover meter tails which were enclosed for a 1M run in a kitchen which used to be a garage.

or you could protect the buried section with earthed metallic protection.

Thanks for speed of replies, probably go for metal plate as cable is already installed.

Hi jimmy jazz
Regs state that rcd protection is for cables buried less than 50mm in the wall and use of unskilled persons. I would possibly install a 100mA rcd fo your main switch, so so your 30mA rcd protecting a bank of circiuts or 30 mA rcbo will trip first avoiding the whole board losing power in the event of a fault on 1 circuit.

Hi jimmy jazz
Regs state that rcd protection is for cables buried less than 50mm in the wall and use of unskilled persons. I would possibly install a 100mA rcd fo your main switch, so so your 30mA rcd protecting a bank of circiuts or 30 mA rcbo will trip first avoiding the whole board losing power in the event of a fault on 1 circuit.

but the buried cable needs protecting by a 30mA RCD unless mechanically protected.

Thanks Goldie, but as this is domestic RCD has to be 30mA. I've used 100mA for TT main switch.

have a word with dno about changing to PME. get hold of them using the emergency number on lecky bill(even not emergency just go through options) and their normally quite happy to come out, check and upgrade to PME at no charge usually even if head needs changing. might give you some better options for seperating circuits from one rcd, then with right mech protection in wall cable won't need rcd protection.

Reply to Sub main RCD protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock