Discuss Sub mains info and advice -thoughts? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

timo

Afternoon All,
I've got a little project coming up soon and would like your thoughts to how i plan on running main sub feeds to some outbuildings etc. I have put together a little pic of the layout.
project1w.jpg

Here is what we have

Main House has a 3 Phase incomer with TN-S Earthing
Phase 1 = 2x 15 Way C.U's
Phase 2 = 1 6 Way C.U to house
Phase 3 = 2 redundant 60A switch fuses.

We have 5 out buildings to supply
WorkShop 80M away
A Large shed around 10M away from the Workshop
A Green house around 30-40m away from the workshop
A Garage 10m away from the main incomer
A pond & summer house around 30 - 40m away from the main garage.

Done some calcs and sized some of the main cables up already still some to do.

Thought i would put Garage on with small C.U and then the Workshop on its own (63A BS88) Switch Fuse

What's your thoughts so far?

Thanks for your time. :)

I would firstly try and determine what loads each of the outbuildings and house will be using so as to get the phases as balanced as possible.

Mark

Thanks mark, yup i've thought about this and tried to balance loads across the phases.
Apart from that eveything look ok?

I think your plans are spot on, But without knowing the place its difficult to balance the phases, I'm assuming if the workshop and other buildings are all for private use so only used occasionally, it might be worth putting a nice 3 phase db in the house and feeding all the outbuildings on 63A MCBs. That way you could balance the loads in the house if this is what is used in normal circumstances. If all the house is on 1 phase and the other buildings are hardly used especially at night, then the balancing will be well out - Only as thought, suppose it depends on how often the other buildings are used!

Forgot to add - maybe worth taking 4 -core to workshop and taking 3 -phase over, always nice in a proper workshop!

Last edited:
I think your plans are spot on, But without knowing the place its difficult to balance the phases, I'm assuming if the workshop and other buildings are all for private use so only used occasionally, it might be worth putting a nice 3 phase db in the house and feeding all the outbuildings on 63A MCBs. That way you could balance the loads in the house if this is what is used in normal circumstances. If all the house is on 1 phase and the other buildings are hardly used especially at night, then the balancing will be well out - Only as thought, suppose it depends on how often the other buildings are used!

Forgot to add - maybe worth taking 4 -core to workshop and taking 3 -phase over, always nice in a proper workshop!

Thanks Somersetsparks
Yeah i was thinking of making the 3 house cu's seperate on each of the phases and then adding the garage, workshop, etc on each on to balance the loads as much as poss. Its not going to be too much of a prob cos only 2 ppl live at this place so doubt big demands over all 3 or just one at anyone time will happen.
I've planned to take a 4 core over in case a 3phase supply is req in future at the workshop.

thanks again for your reply mate ;)

Reply to Sub mains info and advice -thoughts? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net