Discuss sub standard work dodgy boss in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
i have just walked out on my job(as a subby). all the trouble started when they asked me to, through crimp a 10mm main bond i think this was in my 1st week that i started i told my supervisor this was not allowed he said its too late to replace it on hand over,the supervisor and the director were ok with the lads crimping old 10mm at each end because it looks new, so when the work gets checked they dont knock any thing off
while working as a snagger i saw the 1 rewire crew filling out install certs off the periodic the only testing that they did was a ze and end to end on ring main`s

when i imformed the supervisor he didnt seam bothered.
on 1 occasion i witnessed the supervisor telling some one over the phone that they could test there next job from the van,

i told the supervisor that the lads didnt use brown\blue over sleve or use 3amp fuse`s, he said it`s ok they dont check,
about a week later the clarke of works was sacked(i think) the 1st thing the new clarke of works checked was fan and heating spurs for 3 amp fuse`s and heating controls for sleving

the same lads cheeting the test were joining conductors by twisting them together with a drill and taping them up i reported this the supervisor wasnt happy and he said he told them about this, same lads about a week later had a faulty combi(brand new) spent 2 hours checking the circuits, i was sent to reconnect when i did it tripped, tested it and fonud n to e dead short removed stat and programmer and saw new 3 core at programmer and old 3 core at stat, under the floor upstairs another tvited joint about 5" it took about 10mins to un tape it all it was a good un, i cripmed it up no fault, these lads got moved to a differnt site
they were cought by the clark of works using a cpc as a s/wire on a heating circuit then the company sacked them,

i was then sent testing on another site luckly 4 me tho old bonds were 6mm so they all got replaced the problems i got then were i only tested 4 3 bedroom house`s when his other tester could do 5 or 6 i think he told me, when i confronted the director i told him that 1 of his lads said to me "cant belive your doing insolation resistance cause there on rcd`s" so i said to the director what do i put on the cert he said >200M so i said what if its 0.50Mhom, no answer

on another accasion the supervisor sent 2 testers into a propperty were i was changing a stat they kicked off to them selfs because the board inside was a birds nest, there was 2 rcbos that didnt trip i was sent to get replacements by the supervisor but also on my way sort a faulty heating near the office, the faulty heating took about 1hr 30mins come back to site with the rcbos the supervisor said the testers couldnt wait so they have moved on i said what about the rcbos he said leave them, so that job has 2 circuits not rcd protected 1 is a 6amp and the other a 32amp also the gas bond is crimped and hidden in the wall behind plaster board, but they have a install cert

i was then sent to periodic test the next phase of work, about dinner time got a phone call off the director got to put the estamated age of install 25years cause it councel policy to rewire 30years and above, theres no money in rewires, and i couldnt get in trouble 4 it, the 1st 2 or 3 test`s i did went down as 30years then after the phone call i started 25 so i didnt get more conflict

on the following monday the qualified supervisor and the supervisor belittled me in the office pulling me up on the certs. it was about the estmated age of install made me change it from 30 to 25 years when the age is more like 40 years with old immperial conductors no one new the bs numbers 4 so i put 2.5mm/1.5mm wich is wrong this was on the 9/8/10 the test meter was due 4 calabration that day to my knolage it still has`nt been 4 calabration

on the 20/8/10 i had to change a dis board private job all they gave me was board and new meter tails, on arrival there was no double pole isloator, old 6mm bonds, no shower pull cord and a broken socket back box when i rung the director he said he`s not priced 4 them just do the job and put it all on the cert, so i said how can i, we had a heated talk ending with his saying i am lucky to have a job, so i did the board i spoke to the supervisor on the phone asking if he had servayed this job he said i new it would fail the test but we need the business and we will price for the other work after we have done the board he was in his van with the director and i was on loud speaker the director said put it on a periodic and picked up £265 4 doing this job. when i dropped the money with the director i said we shouldnt be doing this he said i no and took the money

the supervisor is the director`s father in-law
they are both fraudsters in my eyes,some of the work is substandard and a lot of fraud, but they have a qualified supervisor so there names dont go no wear near a electrical cert and say your the tester

i was stressed b4 i walked out wondering what they would tell me to do next,
now i am stressed because i dont have a job and it pay day today, suprise suprise i havent been paid, when i do get paid i want to report this company but who should i tell????????????

fair play to you for having the conviction to leave jour job because of bad practie. I had it before, before i qualified. i was pulling up faults, and i was told that i was young and inexperienced, and unqualified so i should shut up. the same firm also altrered another job in a house that another firm had done, took photos, and the other firm got bootedoff the contract. I left that job too.

as for reporting the firm, could you bnot report the qualified supervisor, if he is not testing the owrk, but relying on you /others? whick scam they registered to?

This shows though, that even qualified time served sparks are sometimes worse cowboys than a DIYer who at least wants to do a good job, but deoasnt have the knowledge/experience.

i have just walked out on my job(as a subby). all the trouble started when they asked me to, through crimp a 10mm main bond i think this was in my 1st week that i started i told my supervisor this was not allowed he said its too late to replace it on hand over,the supervisor and the director were ok with the lads crimping old 10mm at each end because it looks new, so when the work gets checked they dont knock any thing off
while working as a snagger i saw the 1 rewire crew filling out install certs off the periodic the only testing that they did was a ze and end to end on ring main`s

when i imformed the supervisor he didnt seam bothered.
on 1 occasion i witnessed the supervisor telling some one over the phone that they could test there next job from the van,

i told the supervisor that the lads didnt use brown\blue over sleve or use 3amp fuse`s, he said it`s ok they dont check,
about a week later the clarke of works was sacked(i think) the 1st thing the new clarke of works checked was fan and heating spurs for 3 amp fuse`s and heating controls for sleving

the same lads cheeting the test were joining conductors by twisting them together with a drill and taping them up i reported this the supervisor wasnt happy and he said he told them about this, same lads about a week later had a faulty combi(brand new) spent 2 hours checking the circuits, i was sent to reconnect when i did it tripped, tested it and fonud n to e dead short removed stat and programmer and saw new 3 core at programmer and old 3 core at stat, under the floor upstairs another tvited joint about 5" it took about 10mins to un tape it all it was a good un, i cripmed it up no fault, these lads got moved to a differnt site
they were cought by the clark of works using a cpc as a s/wire on a heating circuit then the company sacked them,

i was then sent testing on another site luckly 4 me tho old bonds were 6mm so they all got replaced the problems i got then were i only tested 4 3 bedroom house`s when his other tester could do 5 or 6 i think he told me, when i confronted the director i told him that 1 of his lads said to me "cant belive your doing insolation resistance cause there on rcd`s" so i said to the director what do i put on the cert he said >200M so i said what if its 0.50Mhom, no answer

on another accasion the supervisor sent 2 testers into a propperty were i was changing a stat they kicked off to them selfs because the board inside was a birds nest, there was 2 rcbos that didnt trip i was sent to get replacements by the supervisor but also on my way sort a faulty heating near the office, the faulty heating took about 1hr 30mins come back to site with the rcbos the supervisor said the testers couldnt wait so they have moved on i said what about the rcbos he said leave them, so that job has 2 circuits not rcd protected 1 is a 6amp and the other a 32amp also the gas bond is crimped and hidden in the wall behind plaster board, but they have a install cert

i was then sent to periodic test the next phase of work, about dinner time got a phone call off the director got to put the estamated age of install 25years cause it councel policy to rewire 30years and above, theres no money in rewires, and i couldnt get in trouble 4 it, the 1st 2 or 3 test`s i did went down as 30years then after the phone call i started 25 so i didnt get more conflict

on the following monday the qualified supervisor and the supervisor belittled me in the office pulling me up on the certs. it was about the estmated age of install made me change it from 30 to 25 years when the age is more like 40 years with old immperial conductors no one new the bs numbers 4 so i put 2.5mm/1.5mm wich is wrong this was on the 9/8/10 the test meter was due 4 calabration that day to my knolage it still has`nt been 4 calabration

on the 20/8/10 i had to change a dis board private job all they gave me was board and new meter tails, on arrival there was no double pole isloator, old 6mm bonds, no shower pull cord and a broken socket back box when i rung the director he said he`s not priced 4 them just do the job and put it all on the cert, so i said how can i, we had a heated talk ending with his saying i am lucky to have a job, so i did the board i spoke to the supervisor on the phone asking if he had servayed this job he said i new it would fail the test but we need the business and we will price for the other work after we have done the board he was in his van with the director and i was on loud speaker the director said put it on a periodic and picked up £265 4 doing this job. when i dropped the money with the director i said we shouldnt be doing this he said i no and took the money

the supervisor is the director`s father in-law
they are both fraudsters in my eyes,some of the work is substandard and a lot of fraud, but they have a qualified supervisor so there names dont go no wear near a electrical cert and say your the tester

i was stressed b4 i walked out wondering what they would tell me to do next,
now i am stressed because i dont have a job and it pay day today, suprise suprise i havent been paid, when i do get paid i want to report this company but who should i tell????????????

Goog on yer mate, I take my hat off to you for having the balls to speak up, If only i was in the market for a good honest Spark, you could start today. I would be whistle blowing to the registered body, Elecsa, NIC or whoever and also trading standards, a call to the customer wouldnt go a miss either. can you keep copies of all the lying they have made you do, because you will probably need to back up your claims with some sort of evidence. My take on the fact that you are having to lie on EIC's/PIR's would be that it may well be a criminal offence as building regs are a legal requirement, and you will need to justify your actions if and when the brown stuff hits the fan, especially in the time between you telling all and any susbsequent investigation being carried out if some one gets killed or injured using an unsafe install with your name on it. Keep records of everything, phone calls, letters. certs and anything else that is of relevance. and keep us posted on how things develop.

Cheers..........Howard

Last edited by a moderator:
there reg is, nic eic domestic installer, they are working 4 st leger holmes and some assoation in hull,
i also installed a 4 core for a 3 phase supply to some folding seats in a school the jobs not finnished yet but he wont be pulling a cpc in

well done mate,
it just goes to show so called fully qualified and approved still doesnt mean you will get job done up to correct standard its all about money with some
report them mate to everyone you can your trying to do everything correctly only to be told bodge it or shut up they should have there firm shut down for doing sub standard work and using dangerous practices
good for you mate for standing up for what you believe is right

Unfortunately you have witnessed first hand the dangerous shortcomings of the Niceic qualifying supervisor system
It should not be permited for domestic installation and is further evidence of the need for the Niceic to get its act together, before it totally destroys what is left of what was once an industry with a skilled workforce

You have not been prepared to compromise your own standards and have had to pay the price unfortunately,it was a good decision

Please take the advise given by the most noble of nights "sirkit breaker," cover your own butt

You must report your own actions to trading standards or building control,even if no action is taken by them,you keep copies of your correspondense and sleep easy knowing you are not going to become liable for transgressions forced on you should this outfit ever become targeted by an official body (unlikely but you never know)
It would be pointless reporting them to the Niceic,they dont tarnish themselves by admitting that a contractor approved by themselves was in fact a bad apple,it would be an admission of failings on their part

Another bit of advise for the future would be,if you have mis givings about particular install methods,be very sure that you are in fact absolutely correct with your critisisms
If i read the post correctly,one critisism you made may not be valid,the extra cpc for the swa
Explain further if you will?

Did you work in the west yorkshire area, because I worked for a company as a test engineer. All I did was test rewires all day. They had 3 install crews. I would go round about 2 weeks after the install was completed and commisioned and do an inspection & test. They expected me to do at least 3 test a day. I said that would be pushing it. They also told me not to do IR test, as every circuit was on RCBOs and if there was a fault it would have tripped within in secs of beong energised. I was told to put down >299. I complained several times but like yourself was told it was ok. They said "theres the right way and theres the practical way." I ended up doing around 150 tests like this and only IR about 50%. I know it was wrong but at the time I was new to testing and wanted to keep my job (was laid off xmas eve) and the MD was the qualified superviser that also signed the forms.

These companies should be reported, but employees like myself need the jobs.

Reply to sub standard work dodgy boss in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net