Discuss Subbing Direct To Firms in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening everybody,

With the job situation as it is, I was thinking of writing a few letters to firms regarding subbing to them instead of going through the agencies. This will save them money in agency fees and possibly gain me a bit more per hour but also give them the same flexible terms. I have names and numbers of a few sparks and mates that I would work with and who are good at their job so I could bring them with me so to speak.

So, has anybody wrote these sorts of letters and what response did you get? Also how did you word the letters?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

tried this myself a few times and didn't get a lot of response, even said would be available for odd days as and when needed unfortunately firms seem to find it easier to go to agency.
agree with you about money,they could save a few pence and perhaps wages would be better.

could be an idea for a new forum, companies that want a list of available sparks in certain areas, to cut out the middle man:)

Last edited:
Excellent idea Grandad the more the forum can provide the better it will be

Chris

i sometimes have em acat.........though not often:confused:
lets get the ball rolling and see if the computer geeks will do the biz (geek being an endearment)

so thats me, acat and bcm sparks ready to serve

tried this myself a few times and didn't get a lot of response, even said would be available for odd days as and when needed unfortunately firms seem to find it easier to go to agency.
agree with you about money,they could save a few pence and perhaps wages would be better.

could be an idea for a new forum, companies that want a list of available sparks in certain areas, to cut out the middle man:)

Reason maybe, is that the company pays the agency a fee for their services including your wages and agency then sorts out tax etc, easier for the company than employing you direct they then would have to start deducing tax etc which may be to much of a bind for them, so let the agency do it all for them.

Last edited:
Better for firms to have a list of sparks that they know the capabilities of,once having proved themselves of course.
rather than to employ an agency,who send whoever is available.

as mother gump said "life is like a box of chocolates, you never know watcha gonna get"

apart from chocolate i suppose:p

All of my work is subbing and when i've been slack before i've tried sending letters and ringing firms direct and to be honest it didn't get me very far, you need to know someone at these firms to get you in.
You know what they say, ''it's not what you know, it's who you know''

I like the idea of forum a forum for firms who are looking for sparks. If I sent my CV off they would see that I have worked for a few firms several times. That would make me think "this guy must be good if they keep having him back". Looks like it might be a waste of time writing letters though.

I heard today that the agency NRL might be going under, anybody else heard this?

Sorry Guys but here I go....
Years ago I used to sub direct to firms on either a 714 or a SC60 basis (remember the good old days?) as a legitimate self-employed sole trader. It was all word of mouth who got in and who had no chance, but it worked. Everybody had all the tools they needed including plant etc. and we survived and got well paid.
Then gradually along came the parasites and helped the larger organisations reduce there costs by being a middle man who (for a chunk of your money) would hire you and fire you with no understanding of the fragility of this unique method of employment. Agencies? They are a phoneline and a contact book thats it. Even the parasites sub-out the wages etc. through umbrella companies (more of your money gone). Of course you will now have complicated accounts after all this nonsense and guess what? You'll be forking out even more of your money to your accountant for these services.
The icing on the cake for the real subbies was Browns efforts in gathering employers NI contributions by encouraging us to go cards-in by reducing PAYE tax to 20%, therefore removing any financial advantadge from the individual subby. In other words why bother when you are no better off because we are all paying the same tax, so we go cards-in and BINGO! The government gets there NI contribution.
Look at not only us, but the structure of the entire industry including the outrageous claims made by the 'spark in a day' training providers. Its a mess.
The closest you will get these days to subbing direct (generally) is to work for a smaller company who are taking the work on, and of course taking their cut (like an agency).
I would be very interested to hear more about the NRL rumour.
Good luck guys
Wilber

Years ago I used to sub direct to firms on either a 714 or a SC60 basis (remember the good old days?) as a legitimate self-employed sole trader. It was all word of mouth who got in and who had no chance, but it worked. Everybody had all the tools they needed including plant etc. and we survived and got well paid.
Then gradually along came the parasites and helped the larger organisations reduce there costs by being a middle man who (for a chunk of your money) would hire you and fire you with no understanding of the fragility of this unique method of employment. Agencies? They are a phoneline and a contact book thats it. Even the parasites sub-out the wages etc. through umbrella companies (more of your money gone). Of course you will now have complicated accounts after all this nonsense and guess what? You'll be forking out even more of your money to your accountant for these services.
The icing on the cake for the real subbies was Browns efforts in gathering employers NI contributions by encouraging us to go cards-in by reducing PAYE tax to 20%, therefore removing any financial advantadge from the individual subby. In other words why bother when you are no better off because we are all paying the same tax, so we go cards-in and BINGO! The government gets there NI contribution.
Look at not only us, but the structure of the entire industry including the outrageous claims made by the 'spark in a day' training providers. Its a mess.
The closest you will get these days to subbing direct (generally) is to work for a smaller company who are taking the work on, and of course taking their cut (like an agency).
Good luck guys
Wilber

Well said.

Good luck guys
Wilber

Hi
I have to agree but still today there is no work i had a relative who had contacts within another Company but it comes down to the same old story they are using cheap Labour, the Brits are taking a bashing at the moment and it wont stop until we have an election.

Before Gordon Brown took over i used to send a few letters by fax to Companies looking for CONTRACT WORK within 4 hours i would get a call from the Director or Project Manager asking me to start Monday, now i have sent at least 1000 e.mail and 300 faxes 200 letters and had two replies from what i would say decent guys with the answer we have very little work for ourselves.

My wife wrote a letter to all Political Parties and to my amazement only the Tories wrote back with a lot of BULL what they will do for us!!
Thank you very much for your email to the Conservative Party. I have been asked to reply to you on behalf of the Party Chairman.

Thank you for making us aware of your situation. I agree that it is the Labour Government that has got the country into this mess. They did not fix the roof while the sun was shining, and now they have borrowed far too much, leaving a vast debt crisis that has to be dealt with. The Conservative Party has set out our principles to deal with this. We will bring fiscal responsibility to this country, but with a social conscience. The poorest should not be made to suffer for the actions of some of the richest, and we should not be over-taxed because Labour has over-spent.

This country clearly needs change, but a vote for the ******** is not the way to bring about this change. Only the Conservatives offer a credible alternative to the Labour Government. We have proposed a number of measures to help those who are unemployed, including:

- helping those who are unemployed upskill and reskill during the recession with a £100 million Adult Community Learning Fund

- creating tax breaks for companies who create new jobs

- tailored assessments for those out of work, including a comprehensive programme of support, including training, development, work experience and post-employment mentoring

- private and voluntary expertise to get people back into long term jobs

- benefit cuts for those who refuse to work

- protection for those who genuinely cannot work

- community work programmes for the long-term unemployed.

Please be assured that we will continue to hold the Government to account over the financial situation, and continue to campaign for the much needed change that this country needs. Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us about this.

My wife wrote another letter back with all my qualification to let them know that its not education that my husband needs it a job! When our E.U Counter Parts are working for 40-60 pounds per day doing Electricians work when the true cost should be 150.00 pounds per day we have a real problem in Great Britain.

I even know people who were given visa's for Australia but are now heading home because they have had there visa revoked by the State of Australia due to the current crises in the world today, went to an Agency to register this week and they too have had enough.

In my street alone good 10 English trades men and two guys in insurance have all lost there jobs why? The E.U is coming to an end just like it did in the U.S.S.R you cannot have 200 Million people on the move around the world and keep all jobs. Mr Gordon Brown has stated he has to save 3 million E.U Jobs.

And, it’s only one option to stop unemployment - pull out of Europe! Close the boarders and stop Benefits!
Charity begins at home.

This e.mail is not to offend its reality and its going to get worse the Printing of Money will cause a devastating impact on Britain and our E.U Counter Parts.

Thanks

Mark

Reply to Subbing Direct To Firms in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock