Discuss Subbying to subsidise going self employed in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Afternoon all, I was wondering if anyone had gone down the route of subbying to an agency while trying to pick up business as self employed as I'm sure I'm not the first person to think about this. Bit of background, I'm 29, time served, 17th edition with 2391 and CompEx, been at the same company since leaving school. I just don't want to leave it too late so I can have a decent crack at being self employed, any advice would be great.

Cheers

My advice is to retrain to a career that doesn't involve climbing around in low-pitched lofts, grovelling around on cloakroom floors sorting bonding, and explaining to stupid customers why the "wires twisted together are dangerous".
Do it before you get old and cynical like most of us ;)

I was lucky to fall in subbing for a few firms local to me so never touched agencies. I do however know of a couple of lads who came through agencies and got more work with the companies after proving themselves. It can lead to contacts within the industry.

Word of the warning though, I have also come across lads, sent from agencies, talked into subbing direct to the agencies customer, this is not allowed so the subby was told to tell agency they had found work elsewhere and promised lots of work, left the agency, come the end of the job a few weeks down the line, the contractor failed to answer calls about the next job. This leaving the lad out of work, having to go back to agency and feed them a story as to why they were back.

Guitarist, I see your point, but I don't mind the manual side of it, I love a bit of sleeves rolled up crap as it makes the better jobs seem even better! But thanks for your advice. CTID, that's my angle really to try and make a few contacts and move on from there. It's just making that step!

Cheers for the replies so far

Guitarist, I see your point, but I don't mind the manual side of it, I love a bit of sleeves rolled up crap as it makes the better jobs seem even better! But thanks for your advice. CTID, that's my angle really to try and make a few contacts and move on from there. It's just making that step!

Cheers for the replies so far

So did I many years ago ;)

Reply to Subbying to subsidise going self employed in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock