Discuss Suggestion for outdoor receptacle or USB port in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

csdude55

DIY
Reaction score
Under my garage eave, I have 2 floodlights. They are hard wired to the wiring and have larger round casings.

I really want to remove one of these floodlights and replace it with a receptacle for a wifi camera. Ideally I'd be able to replace it with a USB port, but I guess I could always use an adapter to convert the camera's USB plug to a regular 110V plug.

This isn't a super secure thing to worry about, so it's not exactly a big deal if someone climbs up to the camera and unplugs it... they'd be on camera doing it, because there's no way to get behind the camera without being recorded unless they go through the woods or something. And if they're THAT determined then I don't think a camera's going to have much of an impact! LOL

Any suggestions on an outdoor receptacle and/or USB port that is the size of a floodlight casing? I don't even know what this would be called, so I have no idea of how to search for it myself!

I'm in rural US, so bonus points if I can find it on Amazon :)

First of all, dont, whatever you do change a USB plug for 110V . Different voltages for a start. And ones AC, the other is DC. Would probably go with an almighty bang.

Is it a USB port you need, or an RJ45, which is standard for networked cameras. Otherwise a 12v supply (jack plug) and a separate co-ax for the signal (RCA).

I see you say wifi.... so all you need is a standard 110v socket in place of the floodlight for the camera to be plugged into. It would need to shielded from the elements, so being inside the building would be better.

There are American members on here that can help with any fine tuning concerning regulations

Under my garage eave, I have 2 floodlights. They are hard wired to the wiring and have larger round casings.

I really want to remove one of these floodlights and replace it with a receptacle for a wifi camera. Ideally I'd be able to replace it with a USB port, but I guess I could always use an adapter to convert the camera's USB plug to a regular 110V plug.

This isn't a super secure thing to worry about, so it's not exactly a big deal if someone climbs up to the camera and unplugs it... they'd be on camera doing it, because there's no way to get behind the camera without being recorded unless they go through the woods or something. And if they're THAT determined then I don't think a camera's going to have much of an impact! LOL

Any suggestions on an outdoor receptacle and/or USB port that is the size of a floodlight casing? I don't even know what this would be called, so I have no idea of how to search for it myself!

I'm in rural US, so bonus points if I can find it on Amazon :)
@csdude55 welcome backYou can remove the light and use the same wiring to install a weather resistant GFCI receptacle with a bubble cover. I’m assuming you are using the receptacle to plug in your power supply. I’m not a expert on USB ports so good luck on that part

Reply to Suggestion for outdoor receptacle or USB port in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net