Discuss suggestion on using contactor with phase failure in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi need suggestion on using contactor with phase failure relay to ON a machine which is a cnc router. the cnc router has it self ON and OFF Buttons
so thinking to install a contactor with phase faller relay as a power source to machine in case of phase loss the machine power off.
currently its connected thorough 3 pole breaker 30 amps
will it ok to do this for all 3 machine means each machine has separate contactor with phase failure relay
or install a large 80 amps contactor with a single phase failure relay to feed a mcb
kindly guide on this thank u

Have you checked the schematics to verify that the arrangements of the existing contractors don’t already give phase failure protection?

Have you checked the schematics to verify that the arrangements of the existing contractors don’t already give phase failure protection?
hi thanks for reply
there is overload relay installed with the spindle contactor but not with other components like the servo drive and others.

at the time the phase failure happens i noticed the cnc router spindle still running my be because of the vfd capcitors. and run to power off manually.

as i am not always in the workshop my other staff not familiar with this condition

so thinking to install a panel with one bigger 80 amps contactor with phase failure relay to feed mcb or separate contactor for each machine to feed power to a ON/ OFF switch.

OK, I'm out as I'm not familiar with the legal requirements for machinery in the U.A.E.
In the UK machinery is governed by PUWER & SMSR, as well as MHSWR & EAWR (& a few others).
I know how to use standards to meet the legal requirements in the UK, but not in the U.A.E.
I would suggest though that a dedicated phase failure detector either shunt tripping the main breaker, or dropping out the main power contactor in the same method as an emergency stop should, thus removing all motive power from the machine if you are worried about loss of individual phases.
This is how I normally see them implemented, or similar on US machines, if they are near compliant with UK/EU requirements.
Though, phase failure detection is not specifically required in the UK/EU for machinery.

Reply to suggestion on using contactor with phase failure in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock