Discuss Suggestions for supply to meters. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The above pics show existing supply arrangements. The plan is in the lower picture to remove all the gubbins in there and replace with a 7 way Ryefield box. Presumably at 60A per fuse. The top picture is where the four core 25mm goes to upstairs around 14m (max) What I am looking for is suggestions as to how to supply a cable(s) to the upstairs. This is an old bank being refurbed to four flats, landlords supply and office supply. We are having two quarterly meters and four key meters to the flats.
Should I use the existing four core and supply another four core SWA which would supply four single phase DBs' upstairs? or is there another way to do this. I am loathe to use tails as there may be the problem of RCD protection for them dependent route.
At the moment the DNO are going to put in the Ryefield and remove the PILC supply and repot it outside at their point of supply and reconnect the existing meters. However we have to switch over to the new meters asap as there are tenants in the building. I find myself in a bit of a pickle as to the logistics and method on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit more info;
In the lower pic the commercial hh meter is to the office the tails on the left were originally three phase joined into single phase to supply the DB in the upper picture (think bank originally) The three phase DB is supplied from the lower pic through a 3p MEM old throw switch which is the box you can see part of, which again is going. The three phase DB in the upper pic is going and the cables/circuits rerouted into the six 1p DB planned. Hope that is clear as mud? As I say I am thinking another four core 25mm and they will connect this into the ryefield but then there is the matter of isolation and splitting/identifying all the cores and distributing them to the 1p DB. I feel a mental block coming on....

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, and the middle meter supplies 8 bedsits at the moment. Actually this job is a bit of a nightmare... The furthest meter is not in use

Where will the new meters be located?
Is there a route through for trunking?

The supply from the meters is in the basement. The SWA goes in a void under the original ceiling cleated and in a straight line up through the floor to the upper picture DB. The distance is through 1 room and half a room next door and emerges under the stairs. The new meters will be in the same approximate location as the original DB i.e. a communal area accessible to all tenants. Sorry at the moment I have to go and will be back later. Will reply as and when I can. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Yes trunking is possible as well as cable tray.

Hi,
Have done similar set up in commercial units and we use contactum mccb boards.
As long as you have room to fit and work the meter tails it's pretty straight forward as

MCCB seems a bit overkill but some switching is going to have to go on. But for 6 x 1p CU with loads of max 50A seems a lot of expense. So you would use tails all the way from the Ryefield to the CU via MCCB rather than SWA @Dean. Sinnett ? I have a couple of Hager invicta 3 phase boxes which may serve the purpose better. Which I would be more inclined to use.

Reply to Suggestions for supply to meters. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock