Discuss Sun bed uv tubes problem in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bigspark17

-
Arms
Reaction score
A customer has decided to Replace there sunbed tubes (48) with new tubes, the problem is that they are starting to blow/not work.
Wondering weather the new bulbs are compatible with the old ballasts.
Reading up there are electronic and electromagnetic ballasts and i believe there are 48 electromagnetic ballasts Currently still in runnig the new bulbs. The new bulbs are 160w but the old ones were 225w. The current ballast are 225w, is there a problem with the bulbs being lower wattage than the ballast?
I have pictures if it helps. :)

Yes the tube wattage must match the ballast wattage within some small tolerance. They are almost certainly overheating as the ballast is allowing excess current to flow.

thanks @westward10
If they were replaced with 225w replacement bulb or the ballast were all change to 160w ballast (same as new bulb) you wouldnt expect a problem.
What about the difeence between electronic & a magnetic balllast being used with the uv lamps?

Electronic ballasts operate at higher frequencies leading to faster tube illumination, increased light output, reduced tube flicker and tube longevity. You also lose the hum of wound ballasts and they do not emit so much heat and of course are more economical to run. They also have the ability to "adjust" to tube degradation which again extends the tube life.

Electronic ballasts operate at higher frequencies leading to faster tube illumination, increased light output, reduced tube flicker and tube longevity. You also lose the hum of wound ballasts and they do not emit so much heat and of course are more economical to run. They also have the ability to "adjust" to tube degradation which again extends the tube life.

Fantastic reply @westward10 many thanks for the information. Much appreciated

Reply to Sun bed uv tubes problem in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net