Discuss Sunbed tripping out in my shop.. help?! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

chreewebb

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm no qualified electrician so if I can get some terms wrong don't shoot me down lol.

I have two sunbeds running onto one seperate box (CGD 7 WAY 100 AMP CONSUMER UNIT - QFS-MB7), each sunbed running on there own breaker in the unit.. RCBO B50 30Ma. I have recently gotten really busy in my sunbed shop and the beds are pretty much on none stop, one in one out kinda thing. Recently the breaker no. 2 (bed 2) is tripping out. I did wonder if it was a problem with the sunbed but I swapped the wiring around so it was bed 2 plugged into breaker 1 and bed 1 onto breaker 2 and the same breaker no. 2 still tripped so it must be a problem with the electrics. I have noticed the breakers do get hot, especially breaker no. 2 ( the one that is tripping out). I'm guessing the heat is what is causing it to trip out. Just wondering if there is a solution. I had a couple ideas, one being to move the breakers far apart on the unit as there is 7 slots and theyre next to eachother to maybe prevent overheating and it tripping? Or maybe get another consumer unit and run each bed off of its own unit to prevent overheating maybe?

Thanks for any help!! really appreciate it! Just causing a bit of a scene in the shop as it is cutting out on customers as theyre on the sunbed! Thanks guys!! :)

spreading the breakers is a good idea. a bit of airflow helps keep them cool. if you are doing this yourself, make sure the DB is isolated, work safe, and ensure all connections are tight. if in doubt, get a qualified spark to measure the current draw for each bed and test for any faults.

A breaker getting hot could indicate a loose connection - so my advice is get it checked ASAP!

I would regard spreading the breakers as a temporary solution. They are designed to work next to each other. You may still have a fault, if your tightening of the connections doesn't fix it.

Reply to Sunbed tripping out in my shop.. help?! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net