Discuss SunPower E20 with P300 SolarEdge Power Optimizer? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

topo77

Hi,

I have SunPower E20 panels on my roof.
http://www.evoenergy.co.uk/downloads/Sunpower-E20-327W.pdf

Rated voltage Vmpp at 54.7 V @ 5.98 A.

I noticed that the SolarEdge Power Optimizers on the panels are P300's which are rated to 48 Vmax.

I would have expected P350's or P500's.

Is it correct to use P300's with he E20? I'm concerned that the panels can generate a higher voltage than the optimisers are rated for.

regards,

The SolarEdge Site Designer shows that the P300 is insufficient. A P405 should have been used.

Did the installer make a mistake by fitting the P300 power optimiser? Should I be worried?

regards,

SolarEdge Site Designer-P405.png

SolarEdge Site Designer-P405.png

That's a more serious issue than the inverter size, particularly as it'd breach the warranty, but also as it's presumably going to be drawing power from the panels at a less efficient voltage point than it should be.

That is a remove and replace under warranty situation in my opinion.

Interesting that this would happen. Sunpower are supposed to offer the "best" panel. They choose only "approved installers" - presumably the "best" (or those prepared to pay a premium to access the "best" panel).

An approved Sunpower installer would surely spec Sunpower panels on most jobs. They must have used the Sunpower/Solar Edge combination before - selling the "best" panel with the "best" inverter solution at a premium price.

I wonder how many times they've done this and how well the systems are performing.

Doesn't sound good....certainly not a good choice of optimiser for those panels, P500 would have been ideal for a 96cell module. I would give the benefit of the doubt to the installer though, they may have believed they were installing the correct units, perhaps didn't even do the design themselves. It may even have been a supply error. Whatever the root cause, the P300 optimisers should be removed asap, have you contacted your installer?

Reply to SunPower E20 with P300 SolarEdge Power Optimizer? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net