Discuss Supp bonding needed with RCD + testing supp bonding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello there all, I'm a fairly newly qualified electrician and have been doing more and more EICRs lately, if someone could actually trawl through my long question and answer it then I shall be eternally grateful

I have tested 3 electrical installations in the last week with no RCD devices, all other tests have come back ok. To be completely truthful I want to sell them all a brand spanking new consumer unit, yay, but I'm a legitimate kind of guy and want to sell them legitimately! So I've just been putting down the appropriate c3s on the report and recommending an upgrade in the name of safety and 1/3 have taken up the offer.

It has come to my attention that I have not been testing the bathroom supplementary bonding correctly in the bathroom and essentially I need to be using the R ≤ 50V/Ia, so in the case of a towel rail immersion heater being present on a 32amp MCB I should be getting less than, 50V/32amps = 1.56ohms between any exposed or extraneous parts in the bathroom which leads me to my main question, if I get a higher result than this (assuming that the extraneous item is also less than 22kohms resistance to the MET, this matters right?) then suddenly we're dealing with a c2 situation which would result in an unsatisfactory condition of the EICR due to the combination of ineffective supplementary bonding and no RCD in a special location.

Also where supplementary bonding can be seen 0.05ohms is the maximum reading between parts in the bathroom?

NEXT QUESTION
If I then upgrade their consumer unit so they have RCDs but the resistance between the the extraneous and conductive parts in the bathroom is more than 1667 (Resistance ≤ 50V/0.03mA) but less than 23Kohm (230V / 22000 ≤ 0.01mA and therefore not a life threatening electric shock) do I still need supplementary bonding even with RCD??!

Where supplementary bonding can be seen 0.05ohms is the maximum reading between parts in the bathroom?

The reason I'm thinking that I still need the supplementary bonding with the RCD is regulation 701.415.2 where supplemenatary bonding can be omtted on 3 conditions, one of which is (vi) where is states: All extraneous-conductive-parts of the location are effectively connected to the protective equipotential bonding according to 411.3.1.2.
NOTE: The effectiveness of the connection of the extraneous-conductive-parts to the location to the main earthing terminal may be assessed, where necessary, by the application of Regulation 415.2.2

Which is just the regulation explaining the need for R ≤ 50V/Ia.

Thank you very much and I bloody hope that makes sense or I've been barking up the wrong tree all morning

In a room containing a bath or shower, additional protection must be provided for all circuits of the location by means of an RCD having the characteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.1 (Regulation 701.411.3.3 refers). It is also required by BS 7671 that the circuit(s) comply with the relevant requirements for automatic disconnection, such that the disconnection times will meet the requirements of Regulation Group 411.3.2, and that extraneous-conductive-parts are connected to the protective equipotential bonding according to Regulation 411.3.1.2.

In such circumstances supplementary bonding may be omitted, as indicated by Regulation 701.415.2.

Regulation 701.415.2 (part of)

Where the location containing a bath or shower is in building with a protective equipotential bonding system in accordance with Regulation 411.3.1.2, supplementary equipotential bonding may be omitted where all of the following conditions are met:

(i) All final circuits of the location comply with the requirements for automatic disconnection according to 411.3.2

(ii) All final circuits of the location have additional protection by means of an RCD in accordance with 701.411.3.3

(iii) All extraneous-conductive-parts of the location are effectively connected to the protective equipotential bonding according to 411.3.1.2.

Hello there all, I'm a fairly newly qualified electrician and have been doing more and more EICRs lately, if someone could actually trawl through my long question and answer it then I shall be eternally grateful

I have tested 3 electrical installations in the last week with no RCD devices, all other tests have come back ok. To be completely truthful I want to sell them all a brand spanking new consumer unit, yay, but I'm a legitimate kind of guy and want to sell them legitimately! So I've just been putting down the appropriate c3s on the report and recommending an upgrade in the name of safety and 1/3 have taken up the offer.

It has come to my attention that I have not been testing the bathroom supplementary bonding correctly in the bathroom and essentially I need to be using the R ≤ 50V/Ia, so in the case of a towel rail immersion heater being present on a 32amp MCB I should be getting less than, 50V/32amps = 1.56ohms between any exposed or extraneous parts in the bathroom which leads me to my main question, if I get a higher result than this (assuming that the extraneous item is also less than 22kohms resistance to the MET, this matters right?) then suddenly we're dealing with a c2 situation which would result in an unsatisfactory condition of the EICR due to the combination of ineffective supplementary bonding and no RCD in a special location.

Also where supplementary bonding can be seen 0.05ohms is the maximum reading between parts in the bathroom?

NEXT QUESTION
If I then upgrade their consumer unit so they have RCDs but the resistance between the the extraneous and conductive parts in the bathroom is more than 1667 (Resistance ≤ 50V/0.03mA) but less than 23Kohm (230V / 22000 ≤ 0.01mA and therefore not a life threatening electric shock) do I still need supplementary bonding even with RCD??!

Where supplementary bonding can be seen 0.05ohms is the maximum reading between parts in the bathroom?

The reason I'm thinking that I still need the supplementary bonding with the RCD is regulation 701.415.2 where supplemenatary bonding can be omtted on 3 conditions, one of which is (vi) where is states: All extraneous-conductive-parts of the location are effectively connected to the protective equipotential bonding according to 411.3.1.2.
NOTE: The effectiveness of the connection of the extraneous-conductive-parts to the location to the main earthing terminal may be assessed, where necessary, by the application of Regulation 415.2.2

Which is just the regulation explaining the need for R ≤ 50V/Ia.

Thank you very much and I bloody hope that makes sense or I've been barking up the wrong tree all morning
R< 50v/ Ia should be the current that it takes for the protective device to operate so In your example of a 32 amp type B mcb? Then it’s
50/160=0.31 ohms maximum resistance to ensure the effectiveness of the supplementary bonding.
I would have a look at investing in guidance note 8, earthing and bonding for a better understanding of the principles of earthing and bonding.

R< 50v/ Ia should be the current that it takes for the protective device to operate so In your example of a 32 amp type B mcb? Then it’s
50/160=0.31 ohms maximum resistance to ensure the effectiveness of the supplementary bonding.
I would have a look at investing in guidance note 8, earthing and bonding for a better understanding of the principles of earthing and bonding.

Aha thank you for the correction. I have ordered the book now too.

Do you have a hypothetical situation where supplementary bonding would be required in a domestic bathroom even though there are RCDs and MCBs installed on every circuit correctly. For example if there is 3000ohms resistance between extraneous parts in a bathroom?
How much resistance is needed between an extraneous metal part and earth before it is no longer consider an extraneous metal part 23kohms? 1millionkohms?

thanks again

It is still a requirement that where doubt exists regarding the effectiveness of the supplementary bonding , it shall be confirmed that the resistance between simultaneous accessible exposed conductive parts and extraneous conductive parts fulfils the following
R_<50V/Ia
Ia is the current in amps causing operation of the protective device, so for the example of a 32 amp mcb type B then it is
50/160=0.31 ohms maximum resistance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Supp bonding needed with RCD + testing supp bonding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net