Discuss Supplementary Bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mgumbrell

Supplementary Bonding:-
· Regarding Regulation 415.2.2
o What would be regarding as having satisfied the effectiveness of supplementary equipotential bonding?
§ I understand that the Resistance between simultaneously accessible exposed-conductive-parts on a 230v system (50v being the agreed safe “touch Voltage”) should be calculated at the highest rating of the protection device serving that area; typically 32A. However a fault to earth could happen at any location in an installation. Therefore what (I[SUB]a[/SUB]) should be used to calculate the effectiveness as this may be a sub-main cable causing a fault to earth protected by a MCCB. In short apart from special locations (Part 7) that may define Supplementary Bonding requirements what (I[SUB]a[/SUB]) should be used in the calculation of resistance in formula (R ≤ 50 V/I[SUB]a[/SUB]) Based on:-
· 32A Circuit Breaker the Resistance between simultaneously accessible exposed-conductive-parts should be less than or equal to – 1.563 Ω (Is this correct?)
· 32A 30ma RCBO the Resistance between simultaneously accessible exposed-conductive-parts should be less than or equal to – 1666.667 Ω (Is this correct?)
o However, where there is a mixture of circuits protected by various protective devices; again I am unsure on what protective device rating should be used.

Is anyone able to advise?

Regards
Matt

Your terminology is incorrect......supplementary bonding is between conductive parts and extraneous conductive parts. The measurement is made between simultaneous exposed conductive parts and extraneous conductive parts.............not between simultaneous exposed conductive parts.

Mgumbrel, the current component for that equation is not the rating of the protective device but the effective operating current of the particular device.
So for a type b 32 amp circuit breaker, for a disconnection time of 0.1 to 5 seconds, it is 160amps ( from brb).
therefore r=50/160 which is 0.31 ohms. 0.31 ohms is the maximum reading taken between exposed conductive parts and extraineous conductive parts in that bathroom. If there are a mixture of circuits in the bathroom then use the largest protective device for the largest circuit.
The example above would have a different outcome for a different protective device.
Hope this helps

Thank you guys.

Wirepuller:- I took the annotation from 415.2.2 wich does state "....simultaneously accessible exposed-conductive-parts...."

dagrat:- So there is no diference if a RCBO (32A) is being used, it still remains that the reading must be below 0.31 ohms. However this only works for overcurrent and not earth fault at 30mA

Regards
Matt

Reply to Supplementary Bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock