Discuss Supplementary bonding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

currie123

Hi, please can someone confirm whether lights and pull switches etc out with zones 0,1 and 2 in bathrooms require to be included in the supplementary bonding?

I understand the basics and in this instance only the new shower will be 30mA protected, the lights and down flow are out with the zones and will only be 100mA protected.

So is it acceptable to omit the lighting pullcord, light and down flow from the supplementary bonding or must they be bonded? I suspect to work to the regs they should be bonded but wanted to confirm this, any help appreciated

Strima

Electrician's Arms
Have the circuits not got their own CPC's and are they class 2 accessories?

OP
C

currie123

The lighting circuit and downflow heater both have their own cpc, it will just be a standard batten holder for light and from the osg I thought towel rails and the likes of a downflow heater supplied from a short flex can be omitted from supplementary bonding?

ruston

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
You have to comply with 701.415.2 to omit supplementary bonding in a bathroom or room containing a shower in connection with reg 411.3.1.2 if main bonding is in place and the circuits are protected by a 30ma rcd supplementary bonding can be omitted.

Last edited:

tony mc

Electrician's Arms
Does the room have extraneous conductive parts ?

If so each circuit in a bathroom regardless of which zone its in needs to be connected via the CPC to the extraneous parts.

This can be ommitted but not in this case as you have a 100mA RCD for the lights etc!

OP
C

currie123

Ok Ruston thanks so just supplementary bonding the equipment in zones0,1 and 2 together and leaving the light snd downflow out if the supplementary bonding is not enough? ie bonding the shower, sink pipes etc , sorry I have had my head in the regs, osg and 17th ed guidebook most of the night just want to clear this up in case I do a lot of unnecessary work

OP
C

currie123

Alright then my take on the regs was actually correct then, I just wanted to make sure. Plenty of 4mm earths to run tomorrow then

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
suerly, supplementary bonding is to do with extraneous pipework. accessories are earthed by means of the cpc in the cable supplying them. anything you fit in a bathroom/special location must 1. be earthed if it's classI, and 2. be RCD protected. once this has been done, then you come to deciding whether or not extraneous pipes etc. require supplementary bonding.

somersetsparks

Regular EF Member
I believe that to satify the regs, the cpc's of all circuit and all exteraneous pipework etc. should be bonded together, unless the 3 conditions mentioned above are met. This is how I read it from an I&T point of view.

Guitarist

Regular EF Member
Hi, please can someone confirm whether lights and pull switches etc out with zones 0,1 and 2 in bathrooms require to be included in the supplementary bonding?

I understand the basics and in this instance only the new shower will be 30mA protected, the lights and down flow are out with the zones and will only be 100mA protected.

So is it acceptable to omit the lighting pullcord, light and down flow from the supplementary bonding or must they be bonded? I suspect to work to the regs they should be bonded but wanted to confirm this, any help appreciated
You need to provide more information. Are you installing just the shower? Not sure why you are talking about zones with regard to supplementary bonding...

OP
C

currie123

Cheers for advice lads, I am adding in a new shower circuit to a bathroom, supplying from a newly fitted 2way 30mA protected board. All other circuits in bathroom are not being altered( these are a 1 way lighting pullcord and centre light, and a downflow fan heater,both in outside zones).

No supplementary bonding of the pipe work is currently present and the lights and downflow are only 100mA protected.

Obviously I am going to ensure water pipe and oil service pipe are bonded by way of 6mm earth wires as its a tt with 4mm earthing conductor( not buried) . Was trying to clarify if I had to supplementary bond all existing circuits I am not altering to the extraneous conductive parts ie pipe work etc

OP
C

currie123

I didn't believe the zones were relevant in relation to supplementary bonding, again I was looking to clarify this from some more experienced sparks

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
OK. you are fitting a shower. correctly protected by a 30mA RCD. that's it. the other circuits in the bathroom are not your concern. end of.

OP
C

currie123

Is it as simple as that tel? It can't be! It never is!? I am like for like changing the batten holder as it is u/s but that us the scope of my works aside from the shower circuit addition

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
so the like for like does not even require paperwork. honestly, you're over thinking the job. it's only what you install that needs to comply with current regs. obviously, you need to confirm earthing and main bonding is adequate, but that's it, mate.

Guitarist

Regular EF Member
You should find that supplementary bonding is already in place for your pipework. It may be outside the room though, such as in an adjoining airing cupboard or loft space above the bathroom.

Last edited:
OP
C

currie123

Yes I wouldnt be writing out Mwc for like for like change, life has enough paperwork . Ok tel you are right there, I am quite newly self employed so yes potentially I am over thinking the job! thanks

OP
C

currie123

Yes guitarist there is some existing supplementary bonding now you mention it, in an airing cupboard you are right!

somersetsparks

Regular EF Member
OK. you are fitting a shower. correctly protected by a 30mA RCD. that's it. the other circuits in the bathroom are not your concern. end of.
Are you sure tel?
One of my pet hates on I&T's!
Take for instance - a bathroom has no rcds but supplementary bonding in place, along comes sparks and fits shower etc. complete with 30ma protection (for shower only). But he has now introduced a C2 defect for the rest of the circuits, surely you have to consider the methods of protection already in place? (EEBADS)

Guitarist

Regular EF Member
Yes guitarist there is some existing supplementary bonding now you mention it, in an airing cupboard you are right!
Problem solved then. Install shower circuit, test and EIC, get paid, go home knowing that you have improved someone's life :)

somersetsparks

Regular EF Member
How does it introduce a C2 on existing instalation in the bathroom?
Because regs say that unless the 3 conditions can be met (main bonding, 30ma rcd protection to ALL circuits, meet disconnection times), circuits have to be supplementary bonded.

Therefore if you install a shower cct. with 30ma protection, you still have to supplementary bond it in order for the non-rcd protected circuits to comply

Guitarist

Regular EF Member
"Good plan guitarist, sounds simple enough!"

Oh, forgot the most important bit...... Notify the job through your scheme provider :)

Guitarist

Regular EF Member
Because regs say that unless the 3 conditions can be met (main bonding, 30ma rcd protection to ALL circuits, meet disconnection times), circuits have to be supplementary bonded.

Therefore if you install a shower cct. with 30ma protection, you still have to supplementary bond it in order for the non-rcd protected circuits to comply
You should find that if it is a copper supply pipe, then it is likely to be connected to the main water bonding anyway. If it is plastic, then it will not be an ECP. Either way, I'm not sure how it will make the other circuits in the bathroom more dangerous.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access

but you don't supplementary bond circuits. you bond extraneous metallic parts. therefore, you have a case inasmuch as any extraneous metallic parts in the bathroom may need supplementary bonding

OP
C

currie123

Pretty sure the supply water pipe will be copper, but the plumber hasn't put it in yet

somersetsparks

Regular EF Member
But was it not the case that the cpc's of any circuits entering the special location should be bonded, under the 16th edition ammendment?

OP
C

currie123

Part pee not relevant up here, unless of course you are being ironic?!

Strima

Electrician's Arms
Pretty sure the supply water pipe will be copper, but the plumber hasn't put it in yet
You'll probably find he'll use plastic out of sight and copper for show with lots of push fits more good measure. You just have to IR test to see if it's extraneous or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 64 66.0%
  • Black

Votes: 33 34.0%

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.