Discuss Supplementary bonding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

currie123

Hi, please can someone confirm whether lights and pull switches etc out with zones 0,1 and 2 in bathrooms require to be included in the supplementary bonding?

I understand the basics and in this instance only the new shower will be 30mA protected, the lights and down flow are out with the zones and will only be 100mA protected.

So is it acceptable to omit the lighting pullcord, light and down flow from the supplementary bonding or must they be bonded? I suspect to work to the regs they should be bonded but wanted to confirm this, any help appreciated

Have the circuits not got their own CPC's and are they class 2 accessories?

The lighting circuit and downflow heater both have their own cpc, it will just be a standard batten holder for light and from the osg I thought towel rails and the likes of a downflow heater supplied from a short flex can be omitted from supplementary bonding?

You have to comply with 701.415.2 to omit supplementary bonding in a bathroom or room containing a shower in connection with reg 411.3.1.2 if main bonding is in place and the circuits are protected by a 30ma rcd supplementary bonding can be omitted.

Last edited:
Does the room have extraneous conductive parts ?

If so each circuit in a bathroom regardless of which zone its in needs to be connected via the CPC to the extraneous parts.

This can be ommitted but not in this case as you have a 100mA RCD for the lights etc!

Ok Ruston thanks so just supplementary bonding the equipment in zones0,1 and 2 together and leaving the light snd downflow out if the supplementary bonding is not enough? ie bonding the shower, sink pipes etc , sorry I have had my head in the regs, osg and 17th ed guidebook most of the night just want to clear this up in case I do a lot of unnecessary work

suerly, supplementary bonding is to do with extraneous pipework. accessories are earthed by means of the cpc in the cable supplying them. anything you fit in a bathroom/special location must 1. be earthed if it's classI, and 2. be RCD protected. once this has been done, then you come to deciding whether or not extraneous pipes etc. require supplementary bonding.

Or satisfy the two regs that are relevant .It may be easier for you.

I believe that to satify the regs, the cpc's of all circuit and all exteraneous pipework etc. should be bonded together, unless the 3 conditions mentioned above are met. This is how I read it from an I&T point of view.

Hi, please can someone confirm whether lights and pull switches etc out with zones 0,1 and 2 in bathrooms require to be included in the supplementary bonding?

I understand the basics and in this instance only the new shower will be 30mA protected, the lights and down flow are out with the zones and will only be 100mA protected.

So is it acceptable to omit the lighting pullcord, light and down flow from the supplementary bonding or must they be bonded? I suspect to work to the regs they should be bonded but wanted to confirm this, any help appreciated

You need to provide more information. Are you installing just the shower? Not sure why you are talking about zones with regard to supplementary bonding...

Cheers for advice lads, I am adding in a new shower circuit to a bathroom, supplying from a newly fitted 2way 30mA protected board. All other circuits in bathroom are not being altered( these are a 1 way lighting pullcord and centre light, and a downflow fan heater,both in outside zones).

No supplementary bonding of the pipe work is currently present and the lights and downflow are only 100mA protected.

Obviously I am going to ensure water pipe and oil service pipe are bonded by way of 6mm earth wires as its a tt with 4mm earthing conductor( not buried) . Was trying to clarify if I had to supplementary bond all existing circuits I am not altering to the extraneous conductive parts ie pipe work etc

I didn't believe the zones were relevant in relation to supplementary bonding, again I was looking to clarify this from some more experienced sparks

OK. you are fitting a shower. correctly protected by a 30mA RCD. that's it. the other circuits in the bathroom are not your concern. end of.

Is it as simple as that tel? It can't be! It never is!? I am like for like changing the batten holder as it is u/s but that us the scope of my works aside from the shower circuit addition

so the like for like does not even require paperwork. honestly, you're over thinking the job. it's only what you install that needs to comply with current regs. obviously, you need to confirm earthing and main bonding is adequate, but that's it, mate.

You should find that supplementary bonding is already in place for your pipework. It may be outside the room though, such as in an adjoining airing cupboard or loft space above the bathroom.

Last edited:
Yes I wouldnt be writing out Mwc for like for like change, life has enough paperwork . Ok tel you are right there, I am quite newly self employed so yes potentially I am over thinking the job! thanks

OK. you are fitting a shower. correctly protected by a 30mA RCD. that's it. the other circuits in the bathroom are not your concern. end of.

Are you sure tel?
One of my pet hates on I&T's!
Take for instance - a bathroom has no rcds but supplementary bonding in place, along comes sparks and fits shower etc. complete with 30ma protection (for shower only). But he has now introduced a C2 defect for the rest of the circuits, surely you have to consider the methods of protection already in place? (EEBADS)

Reply to Supplementary bonding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock