Discuss supplier wants saftey cert before reconnection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

crow11

-
Reaction score
been to start a job today which I have previously posted about, fire damage to bedroom and hallway in a ground floor flat, after the fire, supplier came out and removed main fuse customer new nothing about it, with the meter being outside fire brigade must of informed them and they have took it out, customer rang up today to see about getting it put back and they say they want a safety certificate before they will come out, only damage found on a full inspection today is the lighting circuit which I am replacing tomorrow along with a new cu, all other circuits are ok on the dead tests but obviously can't do no live testing yet, will a eic be acceptable with all the dead test results on or are they going to be wanting a eicr cheers

had this problem the other day on a job. EDF insisted they wanted an EIC, which obviously is not possible to do fully without power.so i did all the dead testing, then tried doing the live testing with a temporary supply to a generator. needless to say my tester did not like the fluctuations! so i decided to make up some results for the purposes of EDF being happy.
on the day edf turned up, the installer was not interested at all in seeing a certificate! he said sometimes they take a certificate number from you, but its rare.
i have now done the live testing with the proper supply.
its a catch 22 situation, but the installers live in the real world, unlike the people on the phone, so dont worry about it!

Have this prob with EDF all the time,to cut a very long story short you can issue a minor works cert stating the install is safe, make sure you state there are limitations to the testing. EDF & NICEIC are happy with this arrangement.

cheers for the replies, they came out last night while I was still there first thing he asked for was the cert so I explained to him I can't do any live testing so only have dead tests and his first reply was well can't put you back on then lol, so asked him how am I supposed to do live testing when got no power, I think he then understood he said he would do a ze and if ok switch back on, so eventually have power back on for the builder lol, funny thing was though they hadn't been out to remove main fuse was still in there but had blown 80A but 60A isolator was ok cheers

I can't see a problem with issuing an EICR without a supply being present. Just do all dead test and an enquiry to the DNO for Ze job done. There is no need for the supply to be present to satisfy the DNO that the installation is safe. After the supply is present , rcd, and other function testing can be preformed no problem, just hassle of maybe another visit on the day the supply is restored lol

I didn't think the condition of the installation was any relevance to the supplier. As long as an isolator is present they can leave it off and if they think it is unsafe leave a safety notice.

just out of interest, i used to be area supervisor for a company installing electric meters and was always told to ask for certificates but being an electrician i always argued the point at meetings(always ignored), the reason i always got was "if you dont have a certificate how do you know the instalation is safe" my reply was nearly always "B****cks, if it was unsafe they need a new electrician and my job ends at the isolator so im covered..."

Reply to supplier wants saftey cert before reconnection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net