Discuss Supply feed to holiday home in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,
Customer wants to install a holiday home in one of their fields 300m away. They want a 63amp supply so I just ??
Quick calc comes out at 95mm swa not sure what size drum it would need. I suggested they should ring sse and get a quote for a new supply of off the power pole at the house
Can anyone think of install ideas
Thanks

63A? Most holiday homes, static caravans of old along happily on 16A…

32 for one of the double unit lodge type.

I suppose, if they’re future thinking of a hottub or car charger at the holiday home, they might need 63A

63A? Most holiday homes, static caravans of old along happily on 16A…

32 for one of the double unit lodge type.

I suppose, if they’re future thinking of a hottub or car charger at the holiday home, they might need 63A
The supplier of the unit has asked for 63a?‍♀️

Complying with 3% volt drop from origin for lighting is going to be expensive or not going to happen!
(It's a I shame we can't go back to the ?15th edition which I think said just the final circuit had to comply)

I'd be inclined to get very rough cable quotes for 300m of 95mm, 50mm and 25mm SWA (for 63A, 32A and 16A supplies respectively). 2 Core and TT might save a bit (I honestly can't remember what section 7 requires for a static caravan). The bonding requirements need thinking about too.

The cable prices alone may prompt reconsidering gas cooking and heating or even a different unit! Two Calor bottles with a changeover valve last a very long time.

I am not up on the current legislation concerning holiday homes, but it used to be that they can only be occupied for X amount of months during a year and not have a permanent power supply, this may have changed since I was involved in this type of development.

I am not up on the current legislation concerning holiday homes, but it used to be that they can only be occupied for X amount of months during a year and not have a permanent power supply, this may have changed since I was involved in this type of development.
That may be true as the suppliers have asked for 63a commando skt so they can just plug in

Realistically 5% is fine these days for LED lighting.

Going TT would save a lot more in cable than it should cost in up-front delay RCD!

Also might be worth looking at larger aluminium cable for same drop but lower cost (Al needs about 50% more than Cu, so around a size up). But remember the serious issues of galvanic corrosion so it might be worth getting some resin filled cable joints at both ends to change down to 25mm copper for ease of wrangling.

For example, using paralleled cores of this 4-core 70mm aluminium stuff:

At the princely sum of £10.18/m + VAT, compared to £19.98 for copper 95mm:

The talk about caravans being used for only part of a year is a license stipulation of the caravan park it is sited on. In this case, no licensed park, so it doesn’t matter.

New holiday homes by people like Wilkerby, ABI, etc make holiday homes to two British standards. Actual holiday homes, and “residential” homes which are built to a higher spec and are designed to be lived in all year.

either way, they tend to come prebuilt with gas central heating and cooking… unless this is being built to a customer spec

Holiday cottage owner here! To qualify as a holiday home (business rates rather than council tax) it has to be available for letting for at least 210 days per year.
There's also a maximum consecutive letting period to one individual or group of guests. I forget exactly how long this is, but a few years we had someone rent a cottage for ten weeks while they bought a house in the area, which was legal. The house purchase fell through at the last moment, so they wanted to stay on for another four weeks, which, strictly speaking, they shouldn't have.

Reply to Supply feed to holiday home in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock