Discuss Supply questions from novice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,
i've done a bit of research but dont know what im talking about and have a few questions before i garble down the phone at an electrician if anyone can help..

I want to run computer servers/processors in my home and put them all in the spare room so i can control the environment, if i can do what i want to, peak power draw could be 12kw, so as i understand it to run safely with 20% headroom i'd need 2 60 amp circuits? 120*120=14400watts?

My fuse box has a main circuit breaker rated at 100amps, but the ratings of all the fuses in the box add up to 202amps. so shouldn't the main breaker be rated to 200amps?
if i have a 200amp supply to the house is that the maximum the mains supply cable from outside can provide or could i can have a 2nd 120 or 200amp fuse box installed and run the circuits off that?

thanks

this needs thinking out properly. 12kW is a lot. will all the equipment be drawing power at the same time?
your 100A supply is 23kW, so should handle the extra load when you consider diversity. that's the reason your fuses add upto twice the main fuse rating.not all appliances are in use simultaneously.
you need an electrician to calculate the loading and capacity of the installation before progressing any further.

I want to run computer servers/processors in my home and put them all in the spare room so i can control the environment, if i can do what i want to, peak power draw could be 12kw, so as i understand it to run safely with 20% headroom i'd need 2 60 amp circuits? 120*120=14400watts?

My fuse box has a main circuit breaker rated at 100amps, but the ratings of all the fuses in the box add up to 202amps. so shouldn't the main breaker be rated to 200amps?
if i have a 200amp supply to the house is that the maximum the mains supply cable from outside can provide or could i can have a 2nd 120 or 200amp fuse box installed and run the circuits off that?
op, how big the server, drawing 12kw?

Hello,
i've done a bit of research but dont know what im talking about and have a few questions before i garble down the phone at an electrician if anyone can help..

thanks
The ratings of the OCPDs are what they are rated at, not what total current will be, for example a 32 A OCPD for a ring circuit (sockets) may only be taking 10 Amps or so it's what you plug in that draws the current.

I work in telecoms dealing with customers such as BT, Virgin, Telefonica, Google, BetFred and all the big names and we don't have servers drawing that amount of power.

How have you worked out your power requirement?

Not saying that you actually need 12kW, but if you did, then you need to get rid of 12kW of heat out of that room too. Air handling plant required :)

Reply to Supply questions from novice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net