Discuss supporting cable above a grid ceiling in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TJC1

-
Reaction score
How do people support cables above a grid ceiling?

Currently pricing a shop fit and need a quick easy way to support cables above the ceiling.

Basket? Metal wire wire metal ties? Metal ring plates?

I see something in PE magazine when there requirements for metal cable supports come in and was written by the NICEIC I believe. It said about catenary wire from one side to the other and metal cable ties. I couldn’t help think it was a bit of a bodge TBH.... Saying that though most cables above suspended ceilings look like they’ve been thrown in using a javelin so it might be an improvement on that :D

Tie wrap to literally anything that looks remotely secure

Well that’s what nearly everyone else does when you poke your head above a drop false ceiling

A basket system would seem the best option, with perhaps tray around perimeter walls, although it's rare to see anything other than improvised loops and straps in use.

Shop fitting wasn't really my bag , but have done a bit a few years ago and always tried to get at least a but of 4 inch tray around the perimeter or the unit. Then sort or shot off the tray to the lights etc

Cheap and quick, basket around 2m in from the parameter all the way around. Supported with gripple wire on those cheap 90o bent brackets. I’ve seen them called mending plates but don’t know the correct them for them. It’s a bit wobbly but seems to be the most common way I have seen. Good luck

devil's advocate... laid on the grid, cables are supported, and the grid is metal . all well and good on a new install, but how to install tray or basket when false ceiling is existing.so ........ tin hat on

devil's advocate... laid on the grid, cables are supported, and the grid is metal . all well and good on a new install, but how to install tray or basket when false ceiling is existing.so ........ tin hat on
Take out 2 tiles and a short bar usually is enough to get 3m lengths in. Depends on the void tho. I have before thought why not being on the grid if it was earthed but I felt too dirty afterward

Grid support is usually aluminium I believe. If so it has a lower melting point than steel therefore in a fire it can deform and give way , allowing any cables that are resting on top to prematurely collapse becoming an entanglement danger.

Grid support is usually aluminium I believe. If so it has a lower melting point than steel therefore in a fire it can deform and give way , allowing any cables that are resting on top to prematurely collapse becoming an entanglement danger.
al those i've come across are steel.

last encounter i had was using a pry bar to get 30 600 x600 LED panels in. think there were 3 that actually went in by hand. this grid was deffo steel.

Last edited:

Reply to supporting cable above a grid ceiling in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock