• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Surface mounted 4 gang surge-protected socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

NDG Elecs

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
DIY
Hi Lads and Ladies (SC!),

I should have took a pic - I thought I did...:confused:

I'm after an oversized 4-gang socket with pattress. It is an surge-protected type, which I'm aware don't always apparently work as they should in relation to surges.

The faulty item in question is a massively over-sized unit probably around 150mm high by +300mm long and approx 60mm deep. Tinternet searches have frustratingly only come up with trailing extension type surge sockets.

If anyone knows a supplier I would be extremely grateful.

Thanking you, Neil

Richard Burns

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
60mm deep sounds more like one of the laboratory socket blocks for mounting on a workbench.
Greenbrook used to do a surge protected 4 gang socket converter that was somewhat smaller than you state 240x100x50 that plugged into the socket behind.
Eterna now do a wired one instead but again smaller than either 258mm wide x 87mm high x 25mm deep.
Greenbrook socket convertor.jpg

NDG Elecs

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
DIY
Nope neither of those unfortunately, I appreciate the links though. Its basically a standard typical-looking surface mounted unit, but obviously 4 gang and super sized. It's in a dentist's surgery and powers their main PC and peripherals. I will text the owner tomorrow and get her to send me a photo of it. It had some writing on the face plate but not defo as to whether this stated the manufacturer. I wanted to open it up but the PC was in use so wasn't able to. I bet with the pic I will find it within 30 seconds of googling!

NDG Elecs

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
DIY
Got a piccy now. Looking at the logo it is seemingly a masterplug product. Can't find it on their website though. Will email them just in case.

IMG-20180615-WA0000.jpg

NDG Elecs

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
DIY
I suspect that this is the one in your application which is plugged into a single gang flush 13 A socket behind it.
Good shout there Marconi, I never thought of that. The faceplate is a thinnish thing which came away slightly at the corner when I was trying to have a closer look. But there are no obvious screws to hold it in place, which may point to it being a 'sealed' unit and plugged in as you say.

Richards one is very similar, will have a closer look. Otherwise, I hope the ring is behind there so I can change to two DSSOs.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.