Discuss Surge in houses ? Protection what in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Wilson12

-
Trainee
Reaction score
hello I’ve been to a house where the lady is complaining her lamps keep blowing (yes they are cheap filament and halogen lamps that I’d normally say is the cause but I’ve also been a few doors down for the same problem from that family.
The circuit tests fine and voltages and connections are normal .
I’m just wondering is there any protection against surge voltages in a standard house I remember from college transient voltages are from lightning strikes could it be this in this area or and if soo what protects us against overvoltages in our house

Some things for you to consider which might explain the lamps failing:

a. Are they running too hot because they are enclosed or there is inadequate ventilation around them? Too hot and their life will be shortened.

b. Are they correct lamp for the fitting - shape, size, glass type? What is the maximum wattage lamp for that fitting.

c. Are the lamps subject to vibration or knocks?

d. Are the glass globes down or up? Globe up and air convection will mean the lamp runs a little cooler than globe down.

e. When do they fail - when on or when first switched on? How often are the lamps turned on and off - the turning on event is when most stress is caused to the filament.

f. What is the state/quality of the light switches? Are they opening and closing quickly with good separation of contacts. Otherwise is there arcing so a clean make/break is not happening prolonging the warm up of the filament or extending its cool down.

g. Do the lamps in her home flicker or occasionally rise markedly in brightness? Perhaps DNO has N conductor problem? - but other homes would notice this.

h. What is the mains voltage? Are they being overrun which will shorten life.

i. Are there any old type choke ballast fluorescent fittings? What motor or transformer equipment is in use? Switching transients especially when such equipments are turned off.

j. What kind of supply - overhead or underground? If voltage transients on an overhead 4 wire pole supply are a problem the DNO often uses a length of cable between the pole and the ADS cutout instead of two strung conductors to attenuate these voltage transient wave fronts by a change in characteristic impedance. This length of cable has a lower characteristic impedance (aka surge impedance) than the overhead line's and so the voltage transient heading toward the home is diminished by the effect of the discontinuity/step down in impedance.

Reply to Surge in houses ? Protection what in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock