Discuss Surge protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Morning all,

Quoting for a garage supply and I’m needing too add an additional 1 way board too supply it. Due to space in existing board.

Is surge protection required for such a job if I don’t undertake the risk assessment? Or only required for board change and rewires?

Thanks in advance

What does your risk assessment say?

Morning all,

Quoting for a garage supply and I’m needing too add an additional 1 way board too supply it. Due to space in existing board.

Is surge protection required for such a job if I don’t undertake the risk assessment? Or only required for board change and rewires?

Thanks in advance
What type of SPD are you thinking of quoting for, have you checked the Regs to see if you actually need an SPD Reg 443.6.2 may help you out

Type 2 I’d be using.

To be honest I’m unsure on the definitions of suburbs and urban and what my area would fall under.
If I did I’d have more confidents in doing the risk assessment.
[automerge]1567789637[/automerge]
Ignore that last comment I’ve wrapped my head around it. I’ll perform the risk assessment Monday and if SPD is required it’ll get installed.

Last edited:
Regs say risk assessment not required for single unit dwelling.

Needs clarifying imo. Either all new consumer units have them or none do. At the moment it's a mess.

Wholesalers say they are selling about 5% of consumer units with SPD when I asked. Make of that what you will.

Well we are the 53rd state of the US so why not just go along with what they dictate, we normally do what they want anyway.
[automerge]1567790807[/automerge]
For the sake of £50 I just fit them when installing a new CU.
There are some that £50 notes is a lot of money, difference between eat today or not

Well we are the 53rd state of the US so why not just go along with what they dictate, we normally do what they want anyway.
[automerge]1567790807[/automerge]

There are some that £50 notes is a lot of money, difference between eat today or not
We would be proud to have us to unite

Yall know what Part P is then yall?

It’s all good my friend
[automerge]1567794042[/automerge]

Let me ask you a question about class P something y’all don’t like
It’s all good my friend
[automerge]1567794042[/automerge]

Let me ask you a question about class P something y’all don’t like
Good night Buddy I/m off to dream land had a heavy Day Y'Aall, seriously Mate I have had a traumatic day serious illness in the Family, not nice have a nice evening.

Good night Buddy I/m off to dream land had a heavy Day Y'Aall, seriously Mate I have had a traumatic day serious illness in the Family, not nice have a nice evening.
Sorry to hear that I hope it all turns out ok I keep forgetting that y’all are 5hours ahead of us

Sorry to hear that I hope it all turns out ok I keep forgetting that y’all are 5hours ahead of us
Thanks Mate y'all take care now Y'hear lol ?
[automerge]1567796569[/automerge]
Hope I'm not being disrespectful, I don't mean to be, something that always makes me smile I was in the Ukraine working and a coachload of your Countrymen and Ladies came in for breakfast ( which wasn't up to much) measly eggs and warm Yogurt, anyway truthfully these guys wandered in, cameras around their necks, full of bravado, one of the rather large Ladies sat down and proceeded to berate the local staff, " Don't eat that Elmer tastes like Hoss s--t" I had to leave made me smile for a week God bless the US.

Last edited:
[automerge]1567796569[/automerge]

Hope I'm not being disrespectful, I don't mean to be, something that always makes me smile I was in the Ukraine working and a coachload of your Countrymen and Ladies came in for breakfast ( which wasn't up to much) measly eggs and warm Yogurt, anyway truthfully these guys wandered in, cameras around their necks, full of bravado, one of the rather large Ladies sat down and proceeded to berate the local staff, " Don't eat that Elmer tastes like Hoss s--t" I had to leave made me smile for a week God bless the US.
Don’t let one fat --- bitch and her tourist friends make you think Americans are like that. I’m surprised the owner didn’t kick out. I hate that but I apologize and look at it this way ( we can’t fix stupid) your a better man than me I would have cussed her out so disrespectful sorry

Reply to Surge protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock