Discuss Surge Protective Devices - Amendment One BS 7671! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Chaps
Don't know about the other forum but I reckon Learning Lounge is great value. I knew nothing about Surge Protection and SPDs and I got a lot of info from their video. I've done review of it on my blog.
There's lots of useful stuff on their website and a year's subs will cost about the same as a couple of books. It'll also be very useful for the amendment 1 updates, new EICR etc... More info and a way to get a subs discount from this link- Surge Protection Devices-SPDs and Section 534 Amendment 1 of BS7671

I've just gone through the new cable selection video and I am quite unimpressed TBH.
There's no mention of weather the BS 3036 is for use with overload, no mention about the possibility of it not being liable to simultaneous overload.
Cc was used as 0.725 so they will have to update this video as in amendment 1 it is now Cf. Seems a little weird as the video was released since amendment 1 was published.

Plus assuming the size of the cpc when wiring in singles? There's a calculation that can be used to work out the maximum permissible m
Surge Protective Devices - Amendment One BS 7671! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
/m value for the remaining R2. I was intrigued to see the cable selection videos as I would recommend them highly for my students but I honestly feel that it'll do more harm than good.

Impressed then widdler

Not at all mate. Makes me think about getting a camera, a mic and an available installation and doing it myself.
Or maybe all of us here should have a go :wink5:
We can create an 'electricians forums video package thingy' get some shirts made up to wear with the forum logo on it, and I can use one of my 15 pens.

Seriously though Learning Lounge, I expected better. If Dave's getting a bit old now and Tony's off ruining, I mean dominating our industry with the evil empire then I'm available. :crazy:

If we decided to go down the making videos route I want Daniel Craig to play me, bit younger than me and not quite the physique but near enough.

I wonder who would play Tel ...................god would be a good choice or Christopher Lee

i thought christopher lee was god. at least in the world of the undead he is, speaking of which, how are you today, malcolm?

Last edited:
I want to play myself with Julia Roberts as the love interest.
I can't knock the videos though I do bow to your superior knowledge on the subject. I found the cable selection vids a good source of basic info.
They explain well how to use the correction factors and also how to check volt drop and the cpc size by using the Adiabatic equation in worked examples. I think that the Learning Lounge videos would be very useful in helping students understand this sometimes confusing subject. I'm sure that Amendments will be edited into the content as needed so as not to be misleading. Maybe there will be a sequel.

Electricians forums Videos but in a NON PUBLIC section of the forum so that it's away from the DIY'ers:thumbsup

I can't praise some of you highly enough and I'll even go as far as to say that if you guys started creating videos I would probably drop to my knees and start worshipping you :D

Hi Terry,

welcome to the forum.

I did catch your prior response, you mentioned the ECA etc (as it was in the video).

I've found the learning lounge to be a valuable resource. Video's such as the schedule of inspections and the recent understanding circuit protection series have been very well used with my guys.
There are a few areas that I have to 'skip' or alter, but I can appreciate that interpretation has it's effects.
I did contact learning lounge a while ago asking about any further videos to go with the introduction of ammendment 1 (additionally to the SPD). I was told some of the current videos would be updated and new material would be produced. Is this still the case?
With regards to the presenting thing, sure, why not. PM the details.

I work at East Berkshire College, Main Electrical Training Ltd and Ascot College. East Berkshire and Main Electrical both use LL.

Hi Just drop me an email to [email protected] and we can see what works for you in terms of date for a screen test. By the way Dave Austin is currently doing his 4 day 17th Edition Course, luckily in a class with contractors who have never watched an electrical video (he's quite glad to be anonymous), but he was very pleased that he seems up their with the best of them when it comes to existing knowledge of the regs; due to his work on learning lounge!
Terry

Surely someone thinks he's him but doesn't consider the possibility of him needing doing the 2382-10, and so assumes it's a looky likey. A looky likey called Dave.

Forgot to say - yes huge amount of update work on the go, which of course will be available to all subscribers ASAP.

Undertanding Circuit Protection Parts 1 and 2, should be available in the next week or so with some Amendment One tweaks, Introduction to the 17th will be available August/Sept (with amendment 1 this is now nearly 2 hours - recommended modular viewing!)

We have filmed a new video on the Electrical Installation Condition Report which should be with us August/September.

We will also be launching an update to Domestic Distribution which shows the installation of a domestic consumer unit with Surge Protection, PV circuit and Electric Vehicle Charging Unit Circuit. Tel

Plus we will be looking at everything else.

All sounds promising.
Electric Vehicle Charging Unit Circuit? Getting ready for amendment 2 already?
Looking forward to the EICR inparticular..

I will drop you an email tonight.

widdler

Dave will probably be wearing the same disguise for his course as when he does his PJs at the weekends. He should ok be with the exam, well maybe not the cable selection part. We all have our weak spots!

Talking of extra ciricular activities, didn't I see TC (Tony Cable is Dave's LL co-presenter) on the 'My House is Falling Down' home improvement tv prog a few nights ago? It seems that you electrical 'gurus' aren't in the money after all and sometimes he needs to get back on the tools for some extra cash.
Poor Tony was in a basement and up to his knees in sewage water. He said it was the worst he'd ever seen and is regs book was a bit soggy. Out in the real world that's what us mere sparkies have to deal with on a regular basis. With my BS rubber wellies and my insulated torque screwdriver I'm all set for another year until my next assessment or update course (whichever comes first).
Anyway, I think Learning Lounge is an excellent training resource for electricians and trainees and they are doing a great job. It's just what we need to help keep up with the amendments etc... Don't forget you can get a discount by signing up via my blog (see post #4 above).
Keep up the good work guys.

Reply to Surge Protective Devices - Amendment One BS 7671! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock