Discuss Surge Protector Adapter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Starlight

Hey everyone,

Just to pre-warn you - my knowledge of electrical stuff is limited to changing a fuse.

I have a computer (monitor, tower unit, speakers) plugged into a surge protector adapter thingie, I got the computer (it's well over 6 years old) about a month ago and have had it plugged into the surge protector adapter since I got it. It was plugged into it at my mums too, since she got it. Previously there have been no issues whatsoever but since I've had it the surge protector has been making a clicking noise. For the first few weeks it would only make it for a couple of seconds, then a few minutes and today it hasn't stopped (we're talking hours now) and to be honest, it's driving me up the wall, round the bend, straight to lala land.

Why is it making this clicking noise? I've tried unplugging everything, putting different plugs into the 'master' socket, tried plugging the adapter into a different wall socket etc etc. Nothing makes a difference. Is it the surge protector that's the issue or the wiring in my flat? We have had issues with the electrics before but not on this particular 'circuit' (boiler electrics went funky after a plumber fiddled with it, the bedroom ceiling light blows light bulbs as soon as you turn it on, landlord fiddled with those electrics). The flat, and I assume the wiring, is over 10 years old now and the entire place is falling apart.

I'm worried that it's going to BOOM and wreck the computer, fry me and mean I can't use the computer at all. I'm housebound and my computer is my only connection to the outside world, having it for so little time only to not be able to use it is going to be really pants - this is really worrying me and I don't know what to do :( Any help would be really, really appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try it without that particular adaptor. If it still clicks, it's most likely to one of the cooling fans failing. You need to get someone who knows what they're doing to run it with the covers off and try to locate the exact source of the noise. If it's a fan, they're fairly cheap (less than £10 unless it's something special) and not too difficult to change.

I believe he's talking about the adapter, not the computer.

Ah, not explained myself properly - it's not the computer that's making the noise, it's the actual adapter that's clicking like crazy.

Sorry for the confusion.

buy a new surge protector from the orange shed. they're not expensive.

Is there any way to be sure it's the adapter? If so, would anyone be able to recommend a good, relatively cheap one that I can buy online? I can't get to the shops.

It's just strange that it's only started since being here - it's possible that it was damaged when my mum was bringing it though, it's a 2 and a half hour drive and it was just put into a bag with all the computer cables without anything to protect it.

Thank you for the help!

Is it dangerous to use it while it's doing this? Dangerous to more than mental health that is ;)

Are there any good, slightly cheaper ones? I was hoping to only spend about £10 purely because I'm going to have to be a cheeky mare and ask my mum to buy it for me as I won't be able to afford one for a while.

I do have some 'normal' adapters but they are all cheap ones I picked up for a few quid and I'm not convinced they will be safe to use with a computer? The computer isn't fancy or remotely powerful and it would only be for a few days, a week at most but even so, still concerned.

You can use a normal adaptor as a temporary measure Starlight. The risk of damage to your computer equipment from mains spikes or surges is largely overstated in the popular press, a surge suppressor/adaptor is a bit like an insurance policy, you will probably never need it, but if you do, it will have been money well spent. See the link below for a suitable replacement or something similar, Argos sell it for £9.99 Cat No.901/7025
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Way-2M-...e_Protectors_Power_Strips&hash=item1c2862a414

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the help :) I'm now using a bog standard one and will be ordering a new surge protector one tomorrow. I know I'm unlikely to really need it but, like you said, if I ever do it will be well worth it.

Thanks again,

Starlight

Reply to Surge Protector Adapter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock