Discuss Surge protector Intsallation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jozamm

Hi all,

I am in the process of installing a surge protector as shown in the image below. However I have no wiring instructions on this model and could not find any online. I did some tests on it and when the relay is active (orange buttons pushed) terminal 1-2 and 3-4 are bridged.

Any wiring help/diagram on this type of surge protector would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I am not in a position to return it to the shop from where it was bought.

Thanks a lot,

Regards,

Joseph A. Zammit
Surge_Diagram__1374940480_195.158.69.180.jpg

That's not a surge protector so you're obviously not an electrician.

Thread closed

*Edit*

Following a PM from Joseph this appears to be a legitimate inquiry.

Thread re-opened

Last edited:
The device in the picture is a 240volt 2-pole relay. It's not even remotely useful for surge protection.

Can you give more info, what is it you're attempting to do?

Best of luck wiring that as surge protector. I suppose it would protect the circuit in a way, by blowing the fuse or tripping the breaker.

Think you were right first time Marvo, the thread should be closed.

It is a surge relay.
No idea if it is suitable for domestic installations, I suspect not, but will be glad to be proved wrong.
The original installation instructions are needed to confirm its use.

Search for 'Schroder Nana 16A' various results, all German, but this word stands out - 'Stromstoßrelais', which means surge relay, and some links to wiring diagrams show that it what it is used for, but mainly for electronics.

Original instructions are needed to see what it is suitable for, it may well be suitable for a 16A circuit, as protection for that circuit, but without further research, I cannot tell.

I'm not fluent German speaking but I do speak Afrikaans which has a lot in common. I think stromstoßrelais kinda directly translates as 'surge relay' but it could also mean 'pulse relay' or maybe 'impuse relay'. I think 'surge' refers to a momentary input signal and not an electrical surge (overvoltage spike anomaly).

By trawling through several sites it’s an pulse latching relay.

Should have realised I’ve got to design a circuit using two of them.

Reply to Surge protector Intsallation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net